Chapter Eighteen

Elenora Point of View

I'm downstairs picking away at pancakes, pushing them back and forth on the plate, watching the syrup slowly move around them. I feel like if I continue to not eat them I won't have time to finish getting ready before Nico leaves for school. If Nico leaves me here then I won't have a ride to go for my placement test. If I don't have a ride then I can avoid going to school and possibly compromising the lie I told them about having not gone to school since I was nine. But I know that's too good to be true, they'll find a way to get me to that test today no matter what.

"Hey are you not hungry for pancakes, I can make you something else." Matteo asks standing in front of me. I just shake my head and he sighs. I can tell as soon as I'm off to the test today he'll be heading to the hospital. He's fully dressed in scrubs and I'm the last thing on his check box before he can leave for work. "If this you being nervous about the test it will be fine. Just try your best and we'll be here for you no matter the score"

He starts to go in for a hug but looks for some kind of approval so I close the gap and hug him. It feels nice they are like the hugs Collin always gave me when he could tell I was stressed. I always get nervous before tests, wanting to get the highest in my class and Collin was the same way. We just understood each other. I guess Matteo does as well, after all he graduated early and is into his residency a year earlier than most. He pulls away from the hug after a little bit a looks me in the eyes. "Nervous is not a reason to avoid eating. You need a good breakfast to concentrate on your test" I nod and pick up my first bite of pancakes.

They were amazing the right amount of sweet and still light and airy. I go in for a second bite and is look to see Matteo give a nod of approval before turning back to the sink to finish cleaning the pan. While I'm eating Nico makes his way into the kitchen, sitting down next to me where Matteo had set a plate of pancakes for him a few minutes ago. Nico says thank you to Matteo before digging in to his pancakes. "Eat quickly you have to leave in ten minutes and Dante wants to talk to you, Elenora before you leave"

The bite of pancake in my mouth suddenly feels dry and hard to swallow. I slowly place my fork down. Both of them can sense some of my panic but before Matteo can give his answer Nico steps in. "He just wants to tell you luck in give you a phone if you need to contact us" he says going back to his breakfast. Matteo seems surprised at his response, since most of the time Nico talking to anyone is limited to one word responses.

"Yes he's right, sorry to scare you. The phone was meant to be a surprise. I sounded a little ominous when I said it didn't I" he chuckled trying to ease the tension. With that it's clear Nico and I are nervous for heading to school and Matteo doesn't want to push it so we eat the rest of the meal in silence. We are starting to clear our plates when Federico walks in, and this time not followed by his twin.

"Good luck little sis on your placement exam!" He says before handing me two bracelets that look that the ones I made when I was in middle school out of string with my friends. "Unfortunately Francesco had an early morning class at Columbia and couldn't stay to wish you luck. But these are our lucky bracelets. Never done bad on an exam or missed a basket at a game with these bad boys on" He sends me a smile as I put them on.

"Thank you" I say to him as I get ready to head out the door. "Yeah no problem, see you once you get back afterwards, okay?" I nod and start to walk out into the garage. Dante runs out after me, not wanting to send me off in the morning without our talk.

"Hey good luck, but before you go I have something to give you" he hands me the phone with a smile thinking I will be surprised. "Damn guess someone spoiled this but anyways all or numbers are saved in there. If you need anything give us a call. Nico has to stay a little later after your exam ends so you can wait with him or I'm sure one of us can pick you up. Toni had an early day at the office so should be free in the afternoon" Nico pushes past us to get to the car and I take that as my cue to thank Dante and get into the car.