Chapter Nineteen

Elenora Point of View

I finally got out of my long day of testing. It feels like my brain is on a puddle on the floor. The test was split into sections similar to the ACT but included some short answer as well. It ranged in hardness with questions  covered in each grade to see which grade subjects you have mastered to properly place. I stand up and stretch my limbs, the school day is shorter due to all exams so everyone is getting out at the same time as me but Nico still has things to do with the theater putting on a holiday exhibition at the end of the week and has to stay longer.

After the long day of testing I don't want to wait for Nico to give me a ride and I know Dante said Toni would be out of work by now or soon so I decided to call him and ask for a ride. I pull up my contacts where only my brothers are listed and hit his to call. I hear it ring as I stand outside the school. I look and see Finn who I met earlier today already at his car, and realize that he invited me. I almost think of running up and going with him or when Toni answers seeing if he can drive but the Toni picks up before I can do the first. "Hey Elenora, I'm close to the school, shouldn't be too long before I'm there"

I pause for a second before asking "Thanks, how did you know I wanted a ride?" I say moving to sit on the bench.

"You had a long day of testing and I'm out of work. Nico taking you home is only if something came up and I couldn't come and get you"

"Oh, okay"

"See you in a bit, maybe we can I can take you out for a celebratory treat?"

"Yeah sounds fun, see you in a bit" I say hesitantly, deciding not to ask to go hang out with Finn. I heard the dial tone a shoved the phone back into my pocket. I wasn't sad I didn't get to go hang out with people my age especially not about Finn. I was nervous about it before and now I don't have to feel bad about not going. I hope he was being genuine but then why would someone go out of their way for someone they just met. I used to be a hopeless romantic hoping that someone would come to my rescue just like Finn did, just like L- I realize why I was so untrusting of Finn. Luke.

The way we met like something out of a book, I could still smell the earthy smell of the Chicago river flowing and the bustling traffic on street behind me. I was walking along the water when I turned to feel the breeze and reach up to twist the necklace around my neck only to be met by skin. In a panicked state I start to retrace my steps looking for it before someone came up to me a said I look lost. With a smile that touched his eyes and made it him enchanting, almost genuine. He helped me look for my necklace for ten minutes until he stood up excitedly and gave me necklace along with his phone number.

I shudder at the thought and look up to see that Toni car is pulling around. I walk up as he parks the car and leans over the passenger seat to open the door for me. I say thanks then hop in, he waits for me to buckle before he drives off. "So, how'd it go?" He asks.

"I think it went well" I say shyly.

"Amazing! Then we truly do have something to celebrate. Where do you want to go?"

"Milkshakes?" I ask hopefully. I loved this chocolate milkshake from this place back in Chicago, I guess that's why I suggested it in instinct. Ryan and I used to go there after our big tests. I guess it's always been a way for me to destress, to consume sugar.

"Perfect. The tik tok milkshake guy would approve of us doi no milkshake Monday" he says.

"You're on tik tok" I say laughing

"Yeah beside how else am I supposed my young siblings" he says shrugging his shoulders. "Here play some music" he says handing me my phone to look through spotify. I play some Taylor Swift until we get to the place.