Chapter Eleven

Elenora's Point of View

"Well Dante just called and said he said he is on his way home. I'm going to go ahead and start dinner" Antonio said getting of the phone. I just nod and continue to watch Gilmore Girls for like the millionth time. This living room is really nice, looking out onto the garden in the courtyard with a wall windows. The courtyard was filled with many plants and outside dinning and kitchen area. With rich bold color tiles you see in a Spanish style house. I would have preferred to have sat out there but it's New York at the end of November and the weather is cloudy, cold, and wet out there.

The opening credits to the next episode just started when I heard the doorbell ring, followed by a loud scream from Federico saying he would get it. I kept watching the show until I heard someone walk in, and turned around to see Francesco.

"Hey apparently it's a social worker here to see you and Dante" he say referring to the person who was at the door, "My- well our brother sent me in her to get you" alright well this is great, more questions about where I have been for the last seven years, one that could lead to them learning that I lived with the Walsh family.

My response to Francesco was a slight nod as I followed him out of the living room to the dinning room, that held a big dark oak table with plate settings for six, and large paintings on the walls behind in the renaissance style. In the room was Antonio and a shorter woman who I could only assume was the social worker with faint freckles across her face that reminded me a little too much of Mama making my heart ache. As soon as they heard me walk in they turned their heads toward me, and the woman sent me a comforting smile, and walked over to me.

"Hello dear, I'm Ms. Dolan, but you can call me Victoria, I'm your social worker" she said reaching out her hand, which I hesitantly took with a shaking hand, but she ended the handshake short as she sensed my nerves.

"Right, thank you for coming, as I was saying, Dante will be home shortly he just got tied up at work" Antonio said, "would you like to sit and eat something while you wait?" He gestures to the table he was setting up.

"No thank you, just need a few documents signed and a few questions to ask, it won't take to long" she said holding what I assume is a folder on me. The gestures for us to sit down and I follow her to the table, Antonio does the same as well taking the seat across from me as I sit next to Victoria. "I'm sorry but I do need to ask some questions privately to Elenora first, alright?"

"Alright, but if you need anything, El, don't hesitate to let me know" he says, only leaving after I nod.

"So they're just a few things I want to discuss with you before your brother Dante comes back and signs the paperwork to adopt you. From your record, for Elenora Doe it says you have been in foster care until you were nine and no record after that. From your police last night it says you ran away from your adoptive family, can you help me bridge the gap in between those two times?" She asks. The real answer was that when the Walsh family adopted me they wiped my record in foster car to protect my identity. Shit I made this lie hard on myself by telling the detective that I was living with my adoptive family.

"Well when I said adoptive family I meant, foster, I was panicked at the time and said the wrong thing. The running away thing happened seven years ago with my last foster dad, David" she gave me a look of sympathy.

"I'm very sorry, my dear. May I ask how you've been alone for so long, as a social worker I know it's in the systems best interest to help kids like you" she says looking at me concerned.

"I just didn't have a good experience with him, and left moved from place to place and worked for people who took me in" I said turning away, even after all this time, I still hate talking about my experience with David and the things he forced me to do. The Walsh family took me to therapy but it consisted of me sitting there for an hour, unable to open my mouth and express the shit he did to me, and crying on the way home, I could never talk about it to anyone.