Chapter Thirteen

Dante's Point of View

I've been up working for hours at my home office, meeting with several of my underbosses in different cities to make sure that the weapon shipments have been arriving and leaving as scheduled. I was in a very long meeting with my underboss that run closest to Chicago about planning our attack on the Irish, especially after I have been informed of an Irish spy near one of our bases. The attack will happen at the end of the week take out their competing supply.

I go to take another sip of my coffee when I noticed the was none left in my cup. Exasperated, I head out of my office, locking the door behind me. I always lock it as a safety measure, though nothing that needs to be extremely secure is kept in there. With Elenora here now it's important it stays locked, I don't want her finding out about the mafia just yet, I want her to trust us first. And the basement is through secret passage behind a painting so I know I won't have to worry about that.

When I start to pour myself a cup of coffee, Matteo walks in and snatched the boot away from me. I glare at him while I watch him pour himself a cup before taking it back. Matteo walks around looking half dead getting creamer for his coffee, while I drink my coffee black.

"Long night?" I ask him

"Yeah, didn't get home until four" Matteo says.

"Thought you got off at Midnight" Antonio says as he walks in coming back from checking on shipments for me at the warehouse.

"Yeah there was an emergency at work, hey at least I got some sleep" he says while looking at the clock that says 11:30, "the kids seem to be getting plenty they are either being quiet or all still asleep" he says referring to our four younger siblings.

"Lazy asses" I mutter before Matteo shoots me a glare, although I'm older he is alway the one that's with the kids.

"Hey all I'm saying is if Elenora woke up sooner, then you could meet her sooner" I say trying to defend my comment.

"I already did" Matteo says before taking a sip of his coffee. Toni sends him a questioning look, urging him to elaborate.

"When I got home, she was up. I don't think she is sleeping well. Made a midnight snack and she went back upstairs" he says before he lets out a sigh, hesitating to continue, "she greeted me by holding a knife, even after I told her who I was she seemed hesitant to put it down, like a need to have something to protect herself is an instinct l"

"Well we found her living in a pretty bad part of town" I say trying to find a reason.

"Maybe, but I feel like the fear was something beyond that, like she had something happen to her and she doesn't want to repeat that experience" I nod.

"Toni, I had you look into her information while at the warehouse, did you find anything?" I ask looking toward my second in command.

"Nothing, that it what concerns me. Usually I would find something some record of an Elenora living anywhere, nothing up until last month working at that dinner" he says.

"You think someone underground knew of her existence before us, maybe using her to get back at us, or if that long ago maybe to get back at our sperm donor?" I ask

"Maybe, but the only way we will figure it out is if we help Elenora open up to us and to tell us where she has actually been" Matteo says, both Toni and I nod in agreement. "I have the day off so I'm going to take her shopping for some new things, it's winter and I know you mentioned she did not have a lot of clothing" I nod hopping things like that will show we are here to provide for her.

"I also think maybe therapy, if she was alone for so long, it's a big transition especially going to a school where she most likely will be with younger kids" Matteo says.

"Yeah I could tell when school was mention yesterday she started to panic" I added, "I think we mention the idea of therapy, I will be helpful" we turn around as we hear footsteps enter the kitchen.

"Therapy for who?" Nico asks as he pulls down his headphones.

"Elenora, help her with this big change" I answer.

"Oh, o-okay"Nico says sliding his headphones back on and quickly grabbing his car keys walking out with no explanation.

"That was the most I've heard him say in a while, and without his headphones" I say surprised.

"Yeah I'll text him and invite him along, maybe having a sister might help him open up a bit" Matteo says pulling out his phone. I hope he's right that we can all be a family together.

Nicos Point of View

When I heard three of my brothers talk about therapy I thought that it was for me, I thought that they were finally realizing how fucked up and closed off I am, but of course Dante doesn't want to admit that he wasn't able to take all of the anger from our father. He thinks that when he dealt with father three years ago that he was the one that father hurt the most because he was the one raised to take over the mafia, but that isn't true, he hurt me each night as he came into my room. But when Elenora comes back he immediately works to solve her problems. What about her is so different than me that he wants to help, am I just too far beyond repair?

I slam the car door and drive off, I go to my favorite cafe in the city. I like to sit at the corner table and people watch, no one from school goes there and neither do my siblings so it's the best place to be alone. One I park my car, I get out and walk a block  to the cafe.

The bell rings when I enter, and I go up to the person standing at the cash register. "Let me guess, a Matcha Latte" the guy says.

"Yeah, how did you know?" I ask.

"You come here a lot, you're kind of a regular" he laughs "when it's ready I will take it to your table" I nod and pay and walk over to my usual table.

Looking out the window I see people from my school who are in the play I'm doing tech for. All of them laughing and hanging out with out me, not even an invite, and it was basically all of the tech crew. I take a deep breath, here in my secret cafe, I can't focus on all my problems.

"Friends of yours?" The employee I ordered from asks.

"Oh they are just doing the school play with me"

"What school do you go to?" He asks

"Westport Academy, you?" I ask

"Park East High School, I'm Alex by the way" he says setting down my Matcha and a cheese danish

"I didn't order a danish" I said try to give the plate back to him

"It's on the house he says" winking, then walking away.

"Nico" I say after him

"Nice to meet you Nico" he says, smiling

I found another reason why this is my favorite cafe, an escape and... Alex.

***

Author's Note

Thank you for reading another chapter, if you liked it please vote!

What do you think of Nico?