Chapter Fourteen

Elenora's Point of View

When I finally wake up I lay in bed for a while not wanting to face the family. I know Matteo didn't say anything to me last night but I can tell he knows I had a nightmare. It wasn't exactly like we had a great first greeting with me holding a knife to him and all Now that it's day time and everyone is awake I'm afraid they might start asking me more questions and maybe start connecting me to the Irish. They have a lot of resources and my lying has only somewhat got them off my back they will figure out the truth eventually.

I know I eventually have to make my way downstairs and face the music. I pull the most comfortable sheets I have had in the last few months off of me immediately starting to shiver. I walk over to my small beat up bag but realize that I left my sweatshirt at the dinner. Sighing to myself for being an idiot I walk over to the closet to see if anything was left in there that I could borrow since this was my brother's old room. Luckily a few hoodies and workout clothes are left there and I grab one with the Columbia college logo written across the front.

After going to the bathroom and brushing my teeth I hesitantly leave the room and head downstairs, trying to remember the path I took the night before. As I reach the kitchen and pause seeing my three eldest brothers sitting there at the kitchen counter. I know it's basically the afternoon and they are probably on to lunch and I can see them discussing something important that I am hoping is not me. They all have treated my nice in the short time I've been here but seeing their faces focused on their discussion in anger and how big they are with a scar on Dante's arm reminds me that they are mafia men. I can't take my chances that they are not like the Russians. I haven't known them all my life. I don't want to stay long enough to prove myself right.

I take a shaky breath and go to turn around from what I clearly a private discussion. But I realize we are all similar, growing up in the mafia forces you to stay alert. Something I forgot and it killed my mother and made the Irish hate me. They all stop their conversation at once and turn to me and give me a hesitant smile. They all seem at a loss for what to say to me before Matteo takes the lead. "Hey again Elenora. You just missed the twins unfortunately" he says hesitantly, "here why don't I get you something to eat"

As he gets up I start to shift uncomfortably under the gaze of Dante and Toni. Dante is the one to finally break this uncomfortable staring contest. "Nice sweatshirt" is all he says as he takes a sip of what I assume to be coffee from the strong smell of the kitchen reminding me of breakfast with the Walshes. As I look down I realize what I am wearing and start to regret my decision. "I'm sorry, I'll take it off" I say as I reach to grab the hem.  I see Toni shove Dante's shoulder making him spill the coffee on his shirt before he looks back up from his phone to me.

His eyes soften from annoyance at his, well I guess our, brother to sympathy as he looks at me before he says, "No keep it, it looks good on you and hey it might just well be your Alma Mater one day too" he says with a smile. I smile back I know he thinks I really behind and wants to give me hope for my education but all I can think about is the goals I've build with Mamma for college. I feel a pain in my chest as I realize another thing I ruined is not just the family but the effort she but in to helping with application.

I think they can tell I am starting to get sad and Matteo swoops in my turning around from whatever he is making to change the conversation. "Speaking of clothing, I want to take you shopping. It winter time and you need something more substantial to keep you warm. Besides I think it would be nice thing for us to do together" I just nod in response.

The garage door leading into the house is opened down the hallway. As Nico walks back in he stops, just like I did seeing he got the attention of the entire room. "Ah perfect timing Nico, I'm taking our sister shopping and want you to come along" Matteo says hopefully still making lunch, or well, I guess breakfast for me.

"No thanks" he says walking away and putting back on his headphones. I can't see Matteo's face right now but I can tell he is rolling his eyes.

"That was not me asking the was me politely telling you, that you will be coming with" he screams after Nico. Nico pauses before nodding and muttering after his brother to text him when we are ready to leave.

After a few minutes of silence Matteo hands me plate with a great looking grilled cheese and tomato soup. I say thanks and get a smile in return. "I wish I could join you shopping but I need to get back to work and Dante here does too. Just wanted to make sure you were up" Toni says while he gets up along with Dante. He goes for a hug but I look down, and he looks disappointed but pulls away. I know I shouldn't be feeling this way, I hurt Maive, dad, and my brothers, and when I see my bio family all I can think about is them. As soon I finish eating I run upstairs to take a deep breath and get ready.

I slide down the backside of my door as soon as a close it. I feel the hot wet tears slide down my face as it hits me how much I miss them and just want to go home.

***

The three of us are in the car heading to fifth avenue to start our shopping. "You know you are both very close in age" Matteo says trying to get the two of us to talk. "Some might even call us Irish twins" Nico says rolling his eyes as Matteo glares at him.

"What I am saying is it will be nice to have someone your age to talk to. You know Elenora will be going to the school on Monday with you Nico. It will be nice to have each other's backs next week" I look confused as to why we were moving so quickly. He picks up on my confusion and starts to explain. "With exams happening next week and a new semester starting soon it is a perfect time to get you into placement to get you all caught up"

"Thank you" I say but my heart starts to race at the thought of being even further into my web of lies.

***

Author's Note
Thank you to all who read my story! Sorry for not updating.

Please vote if you liked the chapter.