Chapter Seventeen

VEGAS POV

If I can only have another life again. 

If I can only go back in time and be right. If I wasn’t born to be like this, I wonder what kind of life I have. Maybe…Pete will be given a chance to meet a better version of me. 

I watch Pete walk back and forth, holding that flower in his left hand and then talking to himself. His hair was quite a mess; his clothes were large on him but it didn’t bother me. 

But the more I see him smiling, the more the hope in my heart faded. 

He is kind and I think of…maybe… he doesn’t deserve this life. This is not the love he deserves. Pete deserves someone better. Pete deserves someone that will embrace him and will not break him. I feel bad that he has to pick up every broken piece of me, turn his back on the family he pledged to serve, and be the salvation of a devil like me. 

I cannot kill my brother. I cannot bear to sacrifice Pete to this world. 

“Will you be okay to live a life like this?” I asked.

Pete place the flowers in the boiling water, blew the smoke away, and face me. “To live in this kind of place?”

Hmm.” I nodded and went near him. “To live far away and just with me.” 

I watch him look up, thinking of something. He smiled and nodded. “It’s fine with me. After all this time, it’s only you and me who can understand each other.”

I may not be used to affection but I pull him into a tight hug. I felt his body freeze for a while before he hugs me back. 

“Choose me.” I pleaded.

Just this time, if the people and the whole world start to hate me… I hope this person I am hugging will choose me. It doesn’t matter if my father will loath me if the whole clan will kick me away and forbid me to carry their surname and I don’t care if the people will beg the Gods to kill me. It doesn’t matter.

What matters is to see him close to me and believe me.

Every time I am with him; I feel like the weight on my shoulders were gone. The world has colors, the grass was greener, the air was not difficult to breathe, and the music of leaves and birds. When I’m with him; I can feel the world close to me. 

“I will.” Pete laugh and broke from the hug. “It will take half an hour to boil that flower. Would you like to go outside?” he asked. “Let’s have a walk.” He suggested. 

We went to the small hut holding each other’s hand; with no intention of letting go.

We were both welcomed by the fresh air, the tall grasses are all dancing and the view of flowers, mountains, and the dreamy vibe made me take a deep breath. I felt Pete let go of my hand so I was about to grab him again but I watch him squat on the soil and pick something up.

I watch him do silly things. I rolled my eyes when I saw him smiling cheekily. But then, even if it’s a stupid idea; I have my eyes on him.

Pete was a few inches away. He held a stick that probably came from a branch of a tree. Pete smiled at me and tried to poke my chest with the stick.

“What are you doing?” I asked smiling.

“Will you hold the stick? You said you don’t like people touching you.” Pete said teasingly oh! I said that and I still don’t like people touching me.