6

Blair

"She can't die," I stuttered as Ashton hugged me tightly.

"Calum's doing all he can,"

"She can't die," I demanded.

"Blair-" Ashton started.

"She is all I have, she's all my brothers have as well," I looked up at him. "If she dies, we have no one," There was silence between us as he thought of what to say.

"We can figure everything out," Ashton promised.

"No, because that results in foster care," I shook my head. "And I've done that before, and I'm not doing that again,"

"Calum's doing all he can," Ashton repeated, hugging me tighter. "How old are your brothers?"

"Five" I told him, sitting up.

"How about you three stay with us?"

"That's ok," I reassured him, "we can just stay at the apartment,"

"I don't want you guys to be alone,"

"I take care of them all the time,"

"I know, but right now you have a lot on your plate,"

"I can handle it,"

"I'm not saying you can't, but-" his sentence was cut off when the door opened, revealing Michael and Luke.

"Calum's still in there," Michael announced.

"Are there any updates?" Ashton asked for me.

"No," Luke shook his head, sitting down. My phone buzzed, showing a text from Ms. Smith asking if I could pick Max and Tommy up. I felt guilty asking her to watch them all the time, but I also didn't want to leave.

"What's wrong, Blair?" Michael asked.

"Ms. Smith asked if I could pick up the twins," I sighed, running my hands over my face. "I don't want to leave,"

"What if I pick them up?" Michael offered. "I can take them back to your apartment,"

"Are you sure?" I asked and he nodded. He gave me his phone number, so I texted him all the information and texted Ms. Smith that a friend would be picking them up. He quickly left, leaving me, Ashton, and Luke waiting. Twenty minutes of silence had passed until the door opened, revealing an exhausted Calum.

I could tell from his facial expression and body language it wouldn't be good news. I held my breath as he sighed and closed the door, taking a seat. It felt as if I couldn't breathe. His walk from the door to the couch felt like hours.

"I'm sorry Blair, she's gone,"