6: Puzzle Pieces

(TW: semi-graphic depictions of violence)

~shift back to present~

Standing nearly frozen still, Grian watched the scene unfold around him, perplexed. He began fidgeting with his hands as Iskall backed away slowly, before turning on their heel and darting into the dense forest. Though most of his thoughts felt like ice ricocheting around in a blender, one sat solidly.

'I I have to help, someway, somehow.'

Because if he didn't help when rough situations happened, what good was he? But right now, who to help was the big question.

Tango, who was usually fiery and confident, was an absolute train wreck. He shook and shivered, back pressed into the jungle tree behind him and eyes shut tightly. His arms wrapped around himself in an unsteady self hug.

Iskall was another story entirely. Throughout the whole ordeal, they'd been distressed, though whether for Tango's sake or their own, Grian wasn't sure.

And if everything Grian had heard and observed amounted to anything it was that Iskall was the one to blame. The puzzle pieces were starting to click together in his head. The only reason Tango would be sopping wet at the edge of a riverbed and panicking at the sight of Iskall... was if Iskall had dropped Tango into the river.

It was entirely plausible. Iskall had the capabilities to, using their telekinesis. And, Tango had been yelling for Iskall to stop whatever they'd been doing. Iskall dropped him in the river.

Grian didn't want to believe that, of course he didn't. But right now nothing else made sense and he was mad, furious even. He knew how he needed to help.

"I'm following Iskall."

~~

Iskall was such an idiot. This was not okay, not okay, not okay in the slightest. They kept sprinting until they felt far enough away. Far from Tango. They hurt him.

Iskall leaned into the nearest tree, dropping their head into their hands. They should have done something, told someone, as soon as they heard the voice. Then none of this would have happened.

Logically, Iskall knew they needed to get help, tell someone at least, but right now they didn't think they could talk to anyone. For gosh darn sakes they just tried to push their netherborn friend into a river. And they'd done it with a smile on their face the whole way through.

If Iskall couldn't get the voice to go away they'd get kicked from the server for sure. It felt unlikely that this would be a one time thing.

Unbeknownst to Iskall, a small barn owl perched on a branch far above their head. Taking a step from the branch, it swooped down, shifting into a human along the way and landing with a small thump-crunch in dry leaves a couple meters from Iskall.

Iskall flicked their gaze to the red sweatered hermit in front of them, silently hoping that Grian had followed them out of concern and not anger. They realized just how stupid that hope was when they saw the look on Grian's face.

"Iskall..." Hatred gripped the small hermit's voice. "I'd hate to jump to conclusions but, wHy the HELL did YoU drop TANGO in the RIVER!?"

Iskall panicked. "I didn't! It was the- it was- it wasn't me Grian—"

"Then. What. Happened?" Iskall could tell that Grian wanted a straight answer and he wanted it now.

"I— I was just trying to teach your little nether friend how to swim!"  Voice-Iskall, red eyes and all, flashed Grian a wicked grin. A moment later, Iskall's eyes changed back to their normal colors and they clamped a hand over their mouth, startled by the voice returning to haunt them once more.

...

Grian had not expected that. He jumped back, a sense of dread suddenly filling him all at once. Iskall quickly looked away from Grian, their gaze towards the ground and a hand still over their mouth. Grian could see them trembling ever so slightly.

"I- Iskall?" He asked slowly, concerned.

Iskall didn't answer, or even listen for that matter, reaching for the sword at their belt. Their hand moved slowly, as if they were fighting their own movements.

"Gri— get away," Iskall choked out. "run- Grian run!"

Iskall reached out one hand towards Grian, sword grasped firmly in the other. They stumbled before regaining their posture and flicking their head up, red eyes boring into Grian's.

Grian quickly swallowed his fear as he realized the danger of the situation. Heeding Iskall's advice, he turned and jumped, taking on an owl form once more. He barely made it a foot before Iskall was on him.

The swede lunged, eyes wild and arms outstretched. Grian felt a hand clasp around his right wing, and swing him towards the ground. He thudded against the rough and root ridden ground. A horrifying crack followed, and Grian twisted out of Iskall's grip, shifting hybrid.

Grian rolled onto his back and planted his hands behind him. He could feel his wings still on his back, dragging in the dirt underneath him. Iskall loomed above him, sword poised to strike.

'Welp, this is how I die I guess.'

He was too shocked to say anything to move anywhere. His limbs felt locked. Why was he freezing up now?!

Iskall seemed confused for a second, probably due to the fact that Grian seemed to currently have zero self-preservation. They blinked slowly before leaning down closer to Grian.

"I dont want to kill you little birdie." Iskall said too softly in a voice too deep. "Too much chaos too soon, and plus, you're a charming little thing, aren't you? Why don't you run along and send your friends a little message for me?"

Iskall's sword came down and Grian shut his eyes tighter than he ever had before. When he opened them again, white flashed in his vision and and agony erupted in his side. He whimpered slightly. Iskall stood further away, studying their sword's edge.

"Oh, and tell Zedaph I said hello."

Grian blinked and Iskall was gone.

Just gone, disappeared into the density of the trees.

Now feeling very much un-frozen, Grian scrambled to his feet, nearly doubling over in the process. His vision swam, but from shock or the now bleeding gash in his side, he wasn't sure. Grian knew that he wanted to get the heck out of the middle of the jungle now.

He stumbled in the the direction he had came, clutching his side. Every step he winced, and got closer to tears.

What had made Iskall do this?

Before his thoughts spiraled into insanity, his communicator buzzed. He pulled it out, a message from Stress appearing on it's bright screen. Grian squinted to read it. She'd gone back to her base with Tango. She was worried about him.

Bloodied hands too shaky to type, Grian opted to pocket the communicator and continue toward's Stress' base. His wobbly amble quickly turned into a limping walk and then a shaky jog as he tried to block out the pain emanating from his side and wing.

The sooner and faster he got to Stress' the better. She'd heal him just like she'd done with Tango.

Grian must've spaced out for the rest of the journey, because before he knew it, he was at Stress', bursting through her doors for the second time that day.

He caught sight of two heads of hair, sitting in front of her fireplace and turning towards the disturbance he'd made. Grian added to that disturbance with a rash exclamation.

"Iskall, they- Stress they've gone mad!"

————
(A/N)

Well of course they've gone mad, why wouldn't they have gone mad? I've gone mad, we've all gone mad!

No song for this chapter, but go check this one out! (Also it kinda fits with Grian in this AU but also not really)

Good Enough - Gabrielle Alpin

Have a wonderful day my guys, gals, non-binary pals, neo amigos, and genderfluid besties!

<3 Soe (of the SILVER variety)