11: Slime & Snoozing

"It begins storming, and the room is drenched in darkness. Suddenly, you hear slow, soft footsteps make their way in. Their pattern is almost melodic, and nothing like the heavy footfalls of the guard. A figure steps in front of the iron bars, shadows concealing everything but their imposing stature and thin frame. Suddenly there's a flash of lightning, illuminating the mysterious person for a split second. Piercing golden eyes stand out against rough gray-green skin, and jagged horns protrude from their head. You can't tell if their expression is one of conniving intentions, or drained boredom—"

"Poultry Man rolls for charisma!!!" Grian interrupted, swiping an abused D20 off the floor. "Imma seduce this bi—"

"GRIAN!" Stress shouted, bursting into a quaint hobbit hole. Scar, Mumbo, Grian, and Jevin sat on the floor of said hobbit hole, surrounded by a large quantity of cushions, pillows, papers, and tiny figurines. One of the figurines was made of... slime? Stress ignored that, standing in the doorframe and bouncing on her toes.

"Ugh, I was just getting to the good part," Scar sighed, flopping backwards into pillows behind him. He snapped shut a leather bound notebook and hugged it to his chest.

"Hey Stress-" Grian started, but was quickly interrupted by Mumbo jumping up from where he sat.

"Stress! Goodness me, are you okay?" he fretted, "Have you gotten any sleep?"

It was a valid concern, Stress had deep bags under her eyes, and a drowsy expression if not for her thin smile. Her hands shook ever so slightly, though she was clearly trying to hide it.

"Plenty, Mumbo," she lied, waving him off with a spin of her hand. "But big news! I know how to heal your wing Grian!"

Stress smiled widely, but the others didn't smile back.

"How long Stress? How many nights?" Mumbo asked softly, though his questions were firm. "My gods you look sick, Stress. How long did you stay awake?"

Stress counted off a few fingers before huffing and looking back up. "Doesn't matter. I'm fine Mumbo."

"You're avoiding the question. However long it was, it wasn't healthy," Jevin interjected, standing up from the DnD nest.

Stress turned towards him, making too much eye contact. "It doesn't matter. I had to help Grian! I have to help him!"

"No, Stress." Grian's voice was straightforward, and he let out a small sigh. "You didn't need to do any of that. You need to sleep. Please, rest. You can fix my wing but just sleep first, please."

(GRIAN: Peace, peace Stress, peace! Thou talk'st of nothing!)

As if on command, Jevin and Mumbo each took one of Stress' shoulders, marching her towards the bed in the back corner of the hobbit hole, while she muttered arguments.

"C'mon guys..." Stress whispered, her statement punctuated with a yawn.

Scar sighed, and pulled himself up, shaking his head. He fished something shiny and crystally from one of his many coat pockets, and tossed it to Jevin, who pressed it into Stress' hands. "I think you need this more than Jellie does... now ϟ|:ᒷᒷi!."

Scar murmured the last word like a lullaby, and the crystal in Stress' hands glowed a soft navy blue. Stress stumbled back down onto the bed and was out like a light, Scar's magic taking effect.

Mumbo found a blanked from who knows where and tossed it over Stress', now snoring, form.

"For taking such good care of us she really needs to learn how to take care of herself," Scar commented with a small pout. "It's a little hypocritical of her."