fourteen

࿔*:・fourteen ࿔*:・

°. *࿐ ༻༺ ࿐°. *

Abigail sighed and ran her hand through Carter's soft, brown locks as her daughter tried to further snuggle herself against her mother. Jack leaned against the doorway of her room and looked at them sadly. Carter sniffled quietly and her mom kissed her hair tenderly.

The doorbell rang and Jack went to answer the door leaving the two women Carter spoke up, "why would anyone do that?" She croaked, voice raspy from all the crying she'd done.

"I don't know, baby, I don't know." Her mother shushed her, "some people just are... horrible."

"Hey Carter, Bella's here," Jack informed her as the pale brunette stepped into the room. Abigail smiled at her as she got up from her place and walked towards the door. Bella greeted her, "hey, Ms Alden." She smiled and Abigail gave her a soft smile, "Hi Bella, we'll let you two talk." She said closing the door behind her as she went out.

Carter sat up in bed, her hair tangled and eyes red and swollen as she gave Bella a tired smile. Bella looked at her sadly as she hurried to her and gently wrapped her arms around her shoulders. She rested her head on top of Carter's, "how're you feeling?" She questioned and Carter remained silent for a moment before replying, "shitty." She nodded.

"Yeah, I figured," she pulled away, "which is why we're gonna go play baseball." She smiled and got up, heading towards Carter's closet. Carter sat up, "baseball? You?" She rose an eyebrow. Bella groaned, "Yes. And you've been holed up in here for the past two days. C'mon, Edward and Alice are already in the car." She handed her some baseball-appropriate clothes and pushed her into the bathroom.

Once Carter was done she came out and Bella smiled at her friend. She nodded to herself and grabbed a hat before leaving the room, making Carter follow. The pair went downstairs where her parent sat at the table with cups of coffee in hand. Her dad got up and quickly kissed her on the forehead as Abigail stood behind him.

"Have fun, guys." She smiled as the girls left. Carter took a deep breath and put on a smile as she reached the jeep. Edward leaned against the passenger seat and nodded at Carter in greeting. Alice grinned at her from the backseat where Carter joined her.

°. *࿐ ༻༺ ࿐°. *

"Why baseball?" Carter questioned as the group pulled up in a field and Edward grinned at her, "well it's the typical American pastime. And the fact that there's a storm coming and it's the only time we get to play. You'll see." He told her as Bella got on his back. Alice picked up Carter and she quickly secured her arms around the pixie's neck before the two vampires started running.

Within a minute, they all stood in an open field where the rest of the Cullens were warming up for their game. Jasper hugged Carter, giving her shoulders a tight squeeze which she returned. Esme smiled at the two girls as she and Emmet came to greet them.

"It's good you're here, we need an umpire," she smiled and Emmet gave them a devilish grin, "she thinks we cheat." He shrugged.

"I know you do." Esme retorted, "call em as you see em, girls." She instructed as everyone went to their places. Alice looked up at the sound of thunder and smiled, "it's time." 

Rosalie nodded and the game started. She hit the ball with a deafening bang and Bella chuckled, "now I know why you need the thunder." She nodded as the ball shot towards the trees.

"That's a home run, right?" Carter asked and Esme pursed her lips, "Edwards's very fast." She told them. They only had to wait a few seconds before the ball came flying back and into Esme's hand.