Misunderstanding - Jim Hopper

You had only been working at the police station for a couple of months, everyone welcomed you from the beginning, all except the chief. You figured it was because he may not be good when things changed. You eventually stopped trying to get him to like you, only interacting with him when you had to. 

The first time you saw them all out together having a work dinner at Benny's. You were not shocked that no body had invited you. You stood at the corner just watching them laugh with each other, they obviously didn't care that you weren't there. You decided there and then that you would only go to work and go home, and only talk to them when you were required to.

Unfortunately, the next day was a Monday and at 8am, you stroll through the main doors with a coffee in your hand, and eyes firmly locked onto the floor, you headed straight to your desk. Every now and then Flo would look at you with a concerned look on her face. When the clock showed 6pm, you packed your stuff up, walked out the building, got into your car and drove home. If anyone else noticed you were quiet, no one mentioned anything.  

The second time you saw them all out together, you knew that you didn't fit into the team. That was twice, they went out for a meal as a team and nobody invited you. That was the moment you realised you had to resign and find another job. 

When you knocked on the chief's office door, you heard a mumbled "come in". You walked in and slowly closed the door. You handed him your resignation, as he read it, he had a confused look on his face. The tension in the room was strong.

"Why?" he says, staring directly at you.

You look at the ground. "I just figured I don't fit into this team. You all went out together at Benny's and no one invited me. I'm not saying to have to but an invitation would have been nice. I know you have worked together for a very long time so I just figured I don't belong in this team" you whispered while trying not to cry. 

You heard Jim's chair squeak against the floor, you didn't look up until you could see his feet next to yours. You looked up at him,

"There has been some kind of misunderstanding. We all thought that another one of the team had invited you. I was confused why you never came out with any of us" he said.

"You really don't have to pity me. I made my choice. It has been lovely working with you. I will just go pack my desk"

You quickly turn around and as you go to grab the door handle. Jim grabs your arm and pulls you into him. He presses his lips to yours, time froze. Your lips move together in sync. You heard cheering outside his office, you pull away and look towards the window where you see the other offices looking through with smiles on their face. You blush and push your face into Jim's chest out of pure embarrassment, you could feel his chest move when he starts laughing. 

He kisses the top of your head and whispers "please don't leave. I don't know what I would do without seeing you every day"

You look up at him with tears in your eyes and nod. He smiles and you and kisses you again while holding you tight to his chest.