Every Person

You fell in love with film photography a couple of years ago. Film photography just seemed so raw and held some kind of emotion that digital photography didn’t. No matter who or what the subject in the image was, you always felt melancholy looking at this form of art. Maybe it was grain, maybe the imperfections, or maybe it was just your perspective, it’s what made it all the more attractive to you.

At present, you were looking through your own work of film photography. You mostly photographed the streets, looking at capturing the unsuspecting citizens with the camera shutter. But you were never really up to showing Taehyung your images. Maybe you were afraid of his opinions or criticisms, you don’t really know. Apart from that, you always preferred to keep your photos in a box under the bed.

Meanwhile, Tae decided to visit you earlier than expected. You heard the door to your home open and Tae’s greeting, "Baby!"

You suddenly panicked and tried to gather up everything on the floor to, again, hide it away. Your fingers fumbled over the photographs as you heard your boyfriend’s footsteps coming in to your boyfriend’s footsteps coming to your room. You cursed as you dropped everything again and again, your mind and limbs weren’t coordinating. You hear the bedroom door open and you widen your eyes. Turning your head slowly, you meet eyes with Tae’s tall figure and focus on his amused expression.

"What’s that face for?" he said.

You start stuttering as he walked towards towards you. "Uh—erm—wait." You tried covering your photos with your hands.

"Are those photographs?"

Dammit, you thought.

"Your photographs?" he pressed.

After a few seconds of silence, you nodded, looking down. Tae sat next to you and tried to make eye contact.

"Can I see them?" he asked softly.

You hesitated but obliged. "OK," you whispered back, still not making eye contact. You pulled your hands away from your hidden treasures—you didn’t have to be afraid, right?

Tae picked up each photograph one by one, looking intently at them. While he was doing that, you finally had the courage to look at his face. The expression was somehow unreadable, although you probably couldn’t tell because your mind was clouded with nervousness. What was he thinking?

"They’re beautiful," he piped up. You widened your eyes again and he looked at you with an awestruck smile. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Mhmm."

"Why people?"

You thought for a moment before answering. "I guess because…every person tells a different story. But what I love is that 10 different people could come up with 10 different stories for the subjects in the photographs," you finish with a smile on your face—you enjoy talking about things you’re passionate about, anyone would.

Tae was now leaning back on his hands looking at you with a genuine, loving smile. But something was still on his mind, lessening his smile a little.

"Why were you hiding them from me?"

And with that your smile disappeared. "I don’t know," you confessed, "I guess because you’re arty and amazing at photography, I was scared what you would think." You were looking at the floor again, embarrassed to meet his eyes.

With that, Tae tackled you to the floor, playfully headlocking you and ruffling your hair.

"Agh, Tae! You bully!"

"You’re so stupid sometimes, y/n." Still lying on the floor, he turned you around looking straight into your eyes and cupping your face. You pouted, pretending to be offended. "You are so talented, why would I criticise you knowing it would hurt you?" He got up holding your hand and dragged you up to a standing position. "Let’s go."

"What?"

"I want to go out, with you, with our cameras," he said, his boxy smile on show.

"Well…okay, but it will take time for me to feel confident taking pictures in front of you," you said.

"That’s okay." He walked towards the door with your hand still in his. "Just think of me as another citizen."

You both grabbed your cameras and walked out the bedroom with excited smiles on your faces.