New Year

31st of December. An excuse for some people to get absolutely wasted. It’s most likely that a lot of people don’t care about celebrating the new year, but when there’s alcohol involved, it’s the perfect excuse to be merry or to be on your worst behaviour.

Taehyung had already had a little—a lot—to drink the day before as it was his birthday. His best friend, Jimin, had also persuaded him to celebrate New Year’s with him at a party. Now, Taehyung was hesitant on agreeing to this invite, thanks to the pounding hangover that seemed to be splitting his skull by the second. 

"But I’m your best friend!" was the excuse Jimin used against him paired with his whiny voice, which bore the resemblance of a five year old, but as much as it annoyed Tae, he could never say no—soulmate behaviour.

So here he was, a little worse for wear, stumbling through the sea of people, the majority that he recognised from the company. He swore he had drunk the same amount as Jimin, but of course he had to remind himself that his persuasive best friend had a higher alcohol tolerance than him. Right now he was looking for space, away from the suffocating and thick air that even a drunk person can only take so much of. The glass of whatever he had in his hand sloshed about until he found an area with two sofas, a little more open space as people were more interested in dancing, away from furniture and away from an accident occurring. The music was still pounding, but with a slightly thinner crowd, at least he could breathe.

He plonked himself down with a huff on the vacant sofa, his drink tipping over onto his hand. Tutting, he licked up the escaped alcohol and leaned back. Aimlessly looking to his side, he jumped, blinking furiously as he swore he was sitting alone.

"Sorry, I th— didn’t realise you were sitting here," he lazily smiled, giggling.

"That’s ok," the person beside him smiled, dismissing him with a wave of their hand.

They sat in silence, if you count the blaring music blocking out any other sound as silence, before the intoxicated man introduced himself, seeing as neither of them were leaving.

"I’m Taehyung," he held his hand towards them

"Y/n," you answered, shaking his hand. "You seem a little inebriated."

Tae scrunched his eyebrows, his mouth hanging open. "Huh?"

"Drunk," you smirked, but laughed as he seemed to blink in slow motion, a sheepish grin stretching across his lips.

"Well, you can blame my friend for that," he smiled, the apples of his cheeks flushed. Lifting his drink to his lips, his eyes lazily watched the golden liquid before he took another sip.

"Oh dear, peer pressure," you asked.

"You don’t know the half of it," he replied with raised eyebrows and you both collapsed into light giggles.

While you sipped from your own drink, Taehyung sat up straight, finding more interest in you in his drunken state.

"I don’t think I’ve seen you around the company before. Do you work there?" he asked, despite his eyes that blinked in intoxicated fatigue, he wanted to talk — he was a chatterbox when he drank.

"No, my friend does, she invited me," you replied as he made a graceless and overenthusiastic noise in return, which made your lips curve upwards again, "I work in a bakery, le patisserie, it’s not far from here."

Taehyung looked at nowhere in particular, his bottom lip jutted out. "Hm, I don’t think I’ve heard of it."

"No, you wouldn’t have," you shook your head, "It’s a small family run business."