Runaway

The slurred yells from the drunken group of men woke you up from your doze. It was probably around 8pm and they were already plastered. You looked at them in disgust but slight fear - you hated alcohol, and what it could change people. Trying to ignore the rowdy group, you looked out the window of the train carriage. The sky was starting to darken, the orange haze of the city creating a great contrast to the assorted blues of the evening. As the sky got ever darker, your reflection in the window got clearer. It had been ages since you saw yourself in a mirror, you had grown sick at what you saw in the reflective glass. Only you knew what that reflection didn't show, and you wanted to keep it that way.

A year ago you had fallen in love with a man so gentle, loving and dependable that you found support in him. But his support turned over and broke you down after some time. The first time you saw his true colours was through alcohol, that was the first hit - the beginning of the physical pain that you would feel. He drove your friends away, there was no need for them, you only needed him. And he never let you decide what to do with your own money, you needed him permission. He never wanted to love you, he wanted to control you. But you were too scared to leave him, and maybe you still loved him because his toxic words that were shoved down your throat was enough to make you believe that. That was until one of your friends came back. They gave you a stern word, money, and a train ticket — you needed to run away.

-

Stepping off the train two hours later, the sky was now dark and unpromising, you looked left and right in cautiousness. You were in a new city, you felt lost. Tightening your hold on the straps of your backpack, that only contained essentials, and a blanket, you walked off the platform.

You found a cheap motel, and stood in front of it, contemplating. What was the point of going in there if you won't be able to sleep anyway? Fear and second guessing filled your mind, they would never let you rest. The thought of a safe bed sounded nice, but were you ever going to feel safe?

Maybe you would make a better decision on a full stomach. So you walked to the nearest convenience store.

Upon entering the store you almost bumped into a young man in a black zip-up hoodie with sharp, intimidating features, the hood covering his head. But the cold exterior disappeared as soon as he softly smiled, muttering a small sorry before exiting the shop, his silhouette soon blending into the darkness. You walked around the small shop, picking out a simple pot of instant ramen and some cheap snacks that you could have in the morning — if you could stomach it.

You sat by the window, munching on the food absentmindedly, while your thoughts were running wild. Often, the same words would run around — you shouldn't have run away, you can't do anything on your own, he's told you that so many times.

Stepping outside again, you felt warm from the hot food. Looking around, the street was quiet, apart from two men ahead smoking under a streetlight, the thick smoke dissipating into the air. Walking in the opposite direction, looking around to make sure no one was around, you took out the money — big mistake. You probably had enough for 3-5 days, you were thinking, if you restricted meals a bit. Suddenly, a strong force pulled you around by the shoulder, and before you knew it the majority of the money was ripped from your hands. You fell forward from the brute force, looking on as the two men ran from you as the light ripples of the leftover ripped money floated to the ground. You hauled yourself onto your knees, feeling like your ribs were bruising already. What were you going to do now? You felt your eyes build up with tears as you looked down, feeling utterly defeated and…

scared.

-

You were walking along the train tracks, back to the train station, as if going there could turn back time and you could change your decisions. There were rows upon rows of metal containers, their looming shadows creating an eerie atmosphere. You soon came across one whose door was propped open, a rickety looking chair outside of it. Cautiously walking up to the door, you knocked on the metal, the sound reverberating.