Runaway Part 2

A few months had passed since then and Taehyung had become more than a dear friend to you—he had become your life-jacket. He kept you safe, keeping an eye on you at most, if not all, times. Of course it took  a while to build up trust in him, but there was something in his nature, something fragile but indeterminable, and despite how he was less open to you than you were with him, you found security in your friend.

Taehyung had let you stay in the metal container, buying more blankets and cleaning the rubbish out. He would also stay with you during the night when nightmares of your ex had rendered your mind a scary place, a place you’d rather not visit but knew you had to when sleep succumbed you. What he didn’t tell you was that his nightmares had also ceased whenever he slept by your side.

You had also been working at the convenience store where you had fatefully met Taehyung, and funnily enough where he worked, he had kindly vouched for you to the store’s owner. Life was good. Every time you got your pay you felt relief, and you were extra careful with it considering what happened the first time you arrived here. And soon you could rent a small apartment with the money.

By now you had told Taehyung about your past, your abusive ex, your friend that had helped you escape, and how you sometimes find it difficult to depend on yourself when you had believed that you could only depend on your manipulative ex.

The only thing you did have a problem with was his illegal activities. 

You had hated it so much that you were right by his side when he spray painted the sides of buildings, keeping an eye out for police or authorities. You had tried to talk him out of it but you sensed a hidden anger when you did so. Your past had taught you not to pry something out of an angry person.

"Are you nearly done?" you shouted back at the male who was busy spicing up the side of a run down shop.

You sat on a bench by the silent road, facing the opposite way and sipping on a fizzy drink through a straw that had been chewed on as you sat in boredom—at least the light hum of the city centre kept you somewhat entertained.

"Yeah yeah I’m nearly done," Taehyung chuckled. "You know you can always go back, you don’t have to wait for me."

I don’t want to be alone.

It was selfish and of course you cared about Taehyung’s safety, but the uninhabited road ahead of you and the dim street lamps that set a cold white light—you preferred the orange light they were before despite them being less environmentally friendly—had enhanced your loneliness and the anxiety that came with it.

"What and leave you to be arrested, yeah ok," you responded, your voice dripping with sarcasm.

"I’ve done plenty of running away, I don’t need a babysitter," he sighed, the hint of annoyance in his voice made you frown, your stomach dropping, "or your sarcasm." He tried his best to lighten up the mood. 

This was always a sensitive topic for him but you had no idea why. With that thought in mind, you looked back with a sorrowful gaze, then walked up next to him, leisurely.

"I’m fine," you read the words that he had sprayed, the paint slightly dripping in thin streaks and you saw him nod in your peripheral vision. 

You’d seen these two words multiple times. He used these words, you were sure, to convince himself, but you could only see it as an unwilling cry for help. But just as the words were on the tip of your tongue, the sudden flash of torchlight alarmed you, and you tugged Taehyung’s sleeves harshly.

You ran. You ran with pure urgency, but he ran enjoying the thrill, turning towards the perpetrators and flipping them off with a provoking giggle.