40| From Dusk to Dawn

❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ❁ ❫・━━━━━━ ❜
Chaitanya: Son of Anandhani.
Abhilasha: Princess of Kapilvastu.
Anandhani: Queen of Kapilvastu.
Devkesh: Father of Anandhani.
❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ❁ ❫・━━━━━━ ❜

The wind walking the corners of the chamber brought in the odour of bloomed lilies along with it. The odour of water lily, indistinguishable in the atmosphere of flowers with their brightness glimmering with the spark of the Sun.

Clad in fabrics painted with the hues of azure and a little uttariya flowing down his waist the newly aged unofficial king of Kapilvastu was set for a grand celebration of an event relate to him.

"Nai Nai" Chaitanya tried to protest, he didn't like to be adorned with a dot of kohl on his forehead. It seemed quite annoying to his little sophisticated mind

"Your hard work will go in vain Chay!" Abhilasha exclaimed, her eyeballs moving in a circular motion.

Anandhani was in a moment of awe, her eyes went deep into the socket, the kids whom she loved the most were way more disobedient than she had imagined them to be once coming to the perfect age.

"You people are kids and I am your mother" Anandhani shouted, taking a breath for the truce of her mind she parted her lips again, "See, you people will do whatever I ask you. Abhi, no commentary, and Chay you…you have turned a  year old today, and look at yourself! So adamant about not letting me apply kohl, I will apply this kohl to your forehead lifelong, look at Abhi! She is five but still doesn't throw tantrums while applying this dot of kohl."

Chaitanya held his head next to the floor, he didn't like to be scolded by his mother, pivoting his gaze sideways for a better look at the person trying to suppress her laughter. Abhilasha used to enjoy the sessions of her brother's scolding.

"Okay now, don't be unhappy and play with all of your cousins but only after keeping this dot on your forehead." Anandhani moved the chin of her son up, a smile drooling over his face.

"Maa, do fast. I will also give my gift to him." Abhilasha whined in fury

"And what are you planning to give him?"

"A baby eagle!"

The last exclaim of Abhilasha was enough for Anandhàni to gasp in horror and let the little Chaitanya squeal.

"Who allowed you, no - wait, where did you get the eagle from?" Anandhàni shouted on the top of her lungs, making the kids hold their ears.

"Pitamahi!"

––————————

The strands of the floral ornaments pushed each other forward with the might of the wind to be thrown in direction of the required, the room decked for the celeberrioum of the next king was ablaze with the chatter of the ladies and little friends of the celebration's cynosure

Everything seemed perfect to the eyes of Anandhani other than the heartsore she had in the absence of her maternal family. They had expected the day before but maybe something went wrong with the calculations of their voyage.

"Anandhani!"

The much-awaited voice was heard, Devakesh had arrived well within time.

Anandhani's eyes dwelled with mixed emotions but squinted with the vision of another man next to his father, those golden hairs reminded her of Vaishnava Hari and the diary of Agastya that talked about his arrival near Chaitanya's birthday.

She waited for them to be near, and finally, the questionnaire began. It didn't take much time for an embrace and then finally let the questions of her mind come up.

"Anandhani identified the young man?" Devakesh asked his daughter.

"The son of Vaishnava Hari!" Anandhani was soft.

Agastya needed to bend his shoulders and greet the lady he had heard a lot of. He was surprised by the sudden revelation of his identity from a person he had never met earlier.

––————————

"Anandhani, take this, maybe this shall reduce the soreness of your heart." Devakesh brought his fist forward with the phalanges close as if hiding something.

"Again, your plays have started?" Anandhani facepalmed, her fingers helping the old man to unravel his fist.

The palm opened to the view of the spectators, it was a fruit, a kinda special one.

"Ashwan phal!" her breath hitched.

Starfruit was a part of her daily life until the fateful evening of Magh didn't pivot her taste from her favorite food. A gush of emotions ebbed through her heart, she didn't carry the courage to portray each shade but yet her heart knew well that Devakesh could read her emotions without simply speaking them out.

"I know that it's my Chay's birthday and not yours but still I can gift something to my daughter when she needs it the most, I know you need courage for what we have planned to complete." Devakesh patted the cheeks of numb Anandhani standing close to himself before walking to the person who was the cynosure for the day.

He halted, with the grasping of his hand behind, a knowing smile on his face.

"Seventh accessory?" the voice of his daughter made his head travel up and down.

"For courage, the bite of energy."

––————————

Handling a set of bonded manuscripts to the soft yet short palms of Chaitanya, Devakesh ruffled his hair. "You know what Chaitanya? Your mother is a brave lady, we'll together pen up her tale let's call it Prishthama Veda"

"Prishtham Veda, Prishtham Veda," Chaitanya repeated the words.