At First Light

A part of Lady Frisk wanted to know the truth about Lord Nightmare.
   They were right there in his castle. And seen as their mind wouldn't leave them be about the question.
  Perhaps this was the perfect opportunity to learn the truth and silence Lady Frisk's curious mind.

"It's quite late to be having dinner isn't it?" Frisk pushed, they'd already embarrassed themself. So long as they're not so disrespectful to get kicked out by Lord Nightmare, they should be fine.
   It never crossed Frisk's mind that Dream could have a foot to kick anyone out himself.

   "Our family has never been one to shy from the night as others do." Dream answered.
   "I see. But aren't you afraid?" They asked.
   "Of what?" Dream was unsure of what Frisk was talking of.
   "Vampires. They're everywhere now. It isn't that uncommon to hear about them." Frisk spoke.
   "Most talk of vampires are just rumors Lady Frisk. You should be careful of your sources." Lord Dream warned them as Lord Nightmare started to steam with outrage for Lady Frisk's bravery of bringing up the topic of Vampires in his house.
   "But surely you've heard of their growing numbers. It's wise to at least take into account to defend Dreamtale from them." Frisk pushed.
   "You think us incapable of defending our own land?" Nightmare growled. Dream drank from his glass, passively hiding behind it.
   "No..." Frisk whimpered.
   "Have you ever seen a vampire, my Lady?" Nightmare leaned into the table as he stared them down.
   "Not that I know of..." Lady Frisk gulped quietly, hoping that Dream will save them from Nightmare's stare. Lord Nightmare sat bavk in his chair at Lady Frisk's answere, he did his best to swollow his rage.
   When Lord Dream stayed out of what Frisk started, Lady Frisk chose to fight back at Nightmare. "I only mention it because the vampires have been proven to target small villages. Villages much like the one on your land." They bravely spoke up.

   "Another rumour. Used to scare children to sleep, and entertain the old folk who have nothing better to talk about." Lord Nightmare dismissed it. He knew what to look out for to defend Dreamtale. "Perhaps you need to stop gossiping with old women like your mother."
   "Nightmare!" Dream spoke up disapprovingly. Lord Nightmare scoffed.
   "But if everyone in the kingdom says it, is it truly a rumour? Lord Nightmare?" Lady Frisk shot back, stepping perhaps a bit too far toward outright saying "I think you are a vampire."

   Lord Nightmare glared, it was unmistakable this time. Frisk had crossed a line with him. Everything seemed to stop as Lord Nightmare growled his lecture.
   "You may as well have said it. Do you think I'm so unaware of the rumours spread about me? Did you think that I would be oblivious to what you are doing?" He galred at them, "I am not a vampire. Those rumours that you keep in your head were made up by the disrespectful people who live off of my own land. That village has not seen a vampire in decades because I defend my land! And that is without the assistance of the King's Guard or the so-called Vampire Hunters. Not to mention that Dreamtale has no army to speak of."

   "I'm sorry, my Lord..." Lady Frisk sunk.
   "You say that you haven't seen a vampire? I have. And they are not so special to deserve the praise that you give them. They're too hell-bent to truly hide among us mortals, so if you do meet one. You'll know it. Do I look hell-bent?" Nightmare continued to lecture.
   "No my Lord..." They responded.
   "Good." Lord Nightmare sat back in his chair, "Tell this to your gossipers, the only power that vampires really have, is the fear that is spread by your rumours. There will be no more talk of these lies under my roof. Understood?" He spoke as if scolding a child.
   "Yes my Lord..." Lady Frisk felt thoroughly defeated, and definitely regretted pushing the subject as far as they did.

   Everyone went back to eating, the room fell deathly quiet after that.

   "I should write to Sans in Outertale! It's been too long since I've written to him!" Lord Dream tried to change the subject.
   "I'm sure that he would like to hear from you." Lady Frisk nodded their head to Dream approvingly before everyone went quiet again.