The Apple Tree

Once Upon a Time, in the land of Dreamtale, was an ancient family.
   This family was chosen by a divine being to be the guardians of a cursed and wicked tree:
   The Tree of Feelings. 

   The tree grew golden fruits that was said to hold love, desire, and joy. But, the tree also grew black fruit that was said to hold wrath, hate, and sorrow.
   While it seemed like the gold apples represented goodness and the black apples represented wickedness, the family's old records state that the tree was not so black and white.
   The gold apples had the power of hell just as much as the black apples had the magic of heaven. This is not further explained in any records that still exist, as no family member had ever recorded the results of what would happen if the apples were to be eaten.

   Still, because of that one line, it was decided long ago by the family that no one was to eat any of the apples. For the safety of the family, and the land.

   Over generations, the family built a castle around the tree as a fortress to protect it and seal it away. Eventually, everyone forgot that the tree was ever even there. Everyone, except for the family of course.
   The family continued to live in the castle, even as a kingdom under the Undertale-Dreemurr family name grew around their land and forced them to join it.

   Still, the family would remain compliant with the Undertale Kingdom, even if it was only to protect their land and their undying tree.

   Lady Nim of Dreamtale was never known to be a people person. She never married and never found a partner, but in using an ancient magic passed down from her family's records, she was able to grow twin boys from the land that the ancient tree grew on.
   From the roots of the blackened side of the tree grew Nightmare, and from the roots of the golden side grew Dream. They would grow to be the heirs of the Dreamtale family and land.

   Lord Nightmare learned the knowledge of the castle's library, which held the records of his ancestor's ancient magic and findings from centuries of watching the tree. He also studied combat in his spare time, which proved to be more useful than he thought it ever would be in his life.
   Lord Dream learned the social way of protecting the family, so they would not be outcast by their fellow nobles, or stomped out by the royal family. Not to mention that they needed someone to care for the small village that resided on their land.

   Once the twin Lords were ready to take care of themselves and the land, Lady Nim fell ill and died.
   Their grief for their mother was both less and more than what they could handle.
   Lord Dream could have gotten through his grief with Nightmare by his side, but Nightmare ran away.

   The responsibility, the pressure, and his own feelings for Dream frightened Nightmare too much for him to handle without his mother. So he ran without much of a word to Dream.
   Dream on the other hand spiralled into a despair that only few understood. With the help of the castle staff, he was able to keep his family's land afloat, but Lord Dream was drowning.

   The golden apples were said to hold love, desire, and joy.
   Something that Dream was desperate for. The love that Nightmare stole from him. The desire to live for tomorrow. And the joy that made life worth drowning for.
   Lord Dream was desperate to not feel so numb, and so unloved.

   He ate a golden apple with no more tears left to dry on his face.

   The first bite made him feel love, excitement, hope, lust, joy.
   The second bite burned like a fire in his throat.
   The third surged through his body with golden magic.
   Until finally the last bite made him sleep a dreamless rest under the branches of the ancient tree.

   Lord Dream woke up in his bed several days later. The staff could barely tell if he had died or if he was just sick.
   From then on, Dream could smell what everyone was feeling, he grew fangs that were as sharp as blades, and powerful wings that could hide under his golden cape.