Chapter 4 : The Failure and the Champion

Impa and I went to Thelma's  around 4PM to grab some coffees and pastries. She couldn't help laughing as soon as she heard my stomach growling while we were driving along the streets of CastleTown, mimicking it and comparing it to those giant and legendary whales called Leviathans. Of course, no one never discovered them, and they were a kind of cryptid now, just as the Yeti or Nessie. And, maybe that was stupid, but I kept beliving in their existance, hoping I could live as long as it was necessary to finally see one of them with my own eyes.

Father would find it stupid. But Mother... absolutely not.

No one could ever imagine how much I missed her, how much I missed her support, how much I missed her voice, her smile. Even her perfume. Something that was so hard for me to remember. And I wondered if that was possible to completely forget somebody, even the ones we truly, desperatly and eternally loved.

« Here we are ! », Impa exclaimed, emerging me from my torpor. « The whale you call 'stomach' will finally stay quiet. »

« That's not a whale ! »

« Well, maybe a lion or something, but I didn't know that was possible to produce a sound that loud with just... a stomach. »

« Oh please. », I complained. « The salad wasn't enough. »

« And the fruit cake? », she asked, slowly pushing against my shoulder.

« That was great. », I chuckled. « Well, maybe I'm not that hungry but just greedy... »

« I didn't know you were that kind of girl ! », she bursted into laughter.

« I didn't know neither ! Maybe that's something like 'New year, new me'. », I kept laughing.

« I can't wait to see what will you become after the real New Year's Eve ! »

« Knowing me, I won't change that much. », I smiled, looking at the menu in front of the checkout.

« I can still hope. Maybe you'll become a sort of punk girl with piercings, your hair completely dyed in black and you'll smoke weed ? »

« I'm absolutely convinced I won't do that. »

« Why tho ? »

« Because Fatherwill kill me before I could even wear a second pair of earrings, you know ? », I say and we both bursted into laughter together.

The coffee shop was a really cosy place. The large room was separated in two parts. In the first one, there was the counter, with the menu and all the pastries, some tables for one or two people and a fireplace. In the second one, larger tables for four to eight people and couches. The walls were made of grey stones just like the floor. Many red carpets filled the floor and gave a warm ambiance.

« You're lucky. », I said in a low-voice.

« Why do you say that ? »

« Because you rparents are so cool and relax. », I said, looking at her in the eyes. « I mean, your sister dyed a lock of hair in red and they didn't say anything, you can wear whatever you want and they would never say something mean, scolding you because of your appearance or something. »

« Zel, I... »

« That should be cool. Knowing you can be whoever you want to, knowing you will never be judged by the ones you love most, and knowing they will support you no matter what. »