Chapter 98 : I hate you

No one truly talked tonight, except Father and Arn. Of course, it wasn't the best moment for their reunion, or for Father to meet my family-in-law, but they all did their best not to make that moment too awkward.

The Farore's were all tired, scared and sad, Father was worried for Link's health, and – of course – my actual state of mind was terrible as I was looking like a ghost. I wasn't able to speak. I wasn't able to eat. I wasn't able to focus on the few words they shared together. I wasn't able to think about anything else than him.

Him, who was alone in his room. Him, who was fighting for his life. Him, who was scared.

And I'm here, not by his side, sitting at a table while many machines were keeping him alive.

It didn't last long before Father and Link's parents went to their respective rooms, hoping they could fall asleep, hoping it was only a nightmare, but Aryll wanted to stay with me a bit longer.

It was too hard for her to stay alone in her room, her own thoughts as a company, and I admitted, I was in the exact same state of mind. It'd been horrible earlier, not able to focus on something else than his body covered of blood, on his eyes that were losing their luster and how I felt him dying in my arms during our last kiss.

She brought her bag in my room, and felt so sorry when she told me she forgot her tooth brush in Hateno. Such as her phone charger and pairs of socks.

Of course you couldn't think clear Aryll.

She kept talking about him while we were still awake but under the sheets, the lights now off. She kept talking about how funny, how amazing, how annoying he was sometimes, her speech enamelled by her cries. And I couldn't help but remember what Link told me during our first date. 'Of course I love her, but I would never tell her because she will get a big head'.

« He really loved you. », I said in a low voice.

She stopped talking and I heard her body turning towards me under the sheets.

« It was one of the first thing he told me when we chatted about his life in Hateno. », I continued, and I heard Aryll's breath becoming heavy. « And he kept telling me how happy he was to know that we're friends. »

She was crying, and I closed my eyes as strong as possible, hoping it would chase my tears away. And I immediately held her in my arms.

« He said he couldn't be happier. », I concluded in a shaky voice. « Knowing that the two women of his life were friends. »

I tried so hard. I tried so hard to stay strong for her. For the one who just lost her brother, her best friend, her confident.

« I couldn't have ever dreamt of a better sister-in-law. », she cried, holding me as strong as she could. « I'm so glad he found you. I'm so glad he found the most incredible girl of this world. The girl that saved his life. »

This time, I was the one who bursted into tears.

« The one who taught him how to live. », she whispered.

« Aryll... »

« I mean it. », she said, sobbing. « I've never seen him that happier. I've never seen him that carefree. »

« I... »

« He found his brightest part with you. », she finally said.

Nothing could've ever calmed us down. Nothing could've ever been strong enough to ease the pain both of our hearts were feeling. Because nothing was more painful than this. Nothing was more painful than the intense fear of losing someone you loved.