Chapter 63 : We shouldn't do that

« Zel ! I'm so happy to see you ! », Impa exclaimed, jumping in my arms as soon as I parked in front of her door.

« Hey Impa ! Me too, you can't even imagine how I missed you during this week ! »

I held her in my arms tightly, enjoying her presence.

I was too preoccupied by my own problems that I didn't send her any message, nor called her for this entire week. And I felt so bad about it, about the fact that I nearly abandoned her because of my sadness.

« I'm so sorry ! », I said, my head in her neck. « I'm so sorry for not calling you this week ! I feel like - »

« Hey Zel, that's fine. Okay ? Do you want to talk about this in your car while I'm driving ? »

I nodded and gave her my keys.

Well, I wasn't fond of the way she usually drove but I felt like I was unable to focus on the road right now, and I would be more dangerous than her. I sat on the passenger side, tied my seat belt and let her turn on the engine, slowly driving down the streets.

I'm overreacting, she's not a bad driver. She's just a bit reckless sometimes.

No clouds could've been seen in the sky, and the orange light of the sunset reflecting on the white snow dazzled me a bit, but Impa kept driving carefully. Well the most carefully she could, at least.

« How are you ? », she asked, increasing her speed as we were finally driving on a salted road.

« Fine. », I simply answered.

« Zel... », she sighed. « There's no need to lie. I see how thinner you are compared to the last time I saw you, and even your amazing concealer can't hide your dark circles. »

I took many deep breath to hold my tears back. I shedded too many tears that week and I didn't want to have a nervous breakdown in front of her.

« Tell me everything. Tell me what truly happened between you two. »

« I... », I started, taking my time to think about everything, to think about the way I could tell her the whole story. « As you know, something happened between him and Paya, and, right after she said his name, I had a talk with him in the locker room. Well, we argued and screamed at each other, to be honest. »

« He screamed at you ? », she asked, and I saw her knuckles becoming white as she was squeezing my wheel and I nodded.

« I was the first to scream. And when he did it, he immediately tried to calm down and I saw he was sincere when he told me he loves me. Well loved me, maybe. »

I hated the fact that I had to say it using the past. I hated the fact that it made me suffer that way. I hated the fact that I was nearly sure about my feelings for him and him too, but in opposite ways.

« He said... he said he didn't kiss her. He said she jumped on him and he didn't have time to push her away. But... »

I shook my head, and I felt her gaze on me.

« But everything was so confused in my head because a part of me loved him, you know, and another part felt betrayed, heartbroken and it was so painful. So I left him alone in this room and I wandered randomly between the dorms under the snow. Maybe I wanted to feel something colder than my heart, more painful than my broken heart but the truth is : the snow felt warmer and the cold air felt sweeter than the emptiness he left in my chest. »