17-light in the dark! part 2

-----------------------------------------------------------
Daniel above
_________________

Daniel's pov

Daniel has been raised as a killer since he was a little boy by his human mother. His father was an orc and died in a war when he was still a baby. He had never met his family from his father's side as his mother did not allow it.

He grew up under strict parenting but it might as well be called training because he never received any sort of affection from his mother. When he was 14 years old his mother sold him to become a mercenary and made him join a dark mecenary group called the shadows. They did people's dirty work for a living especially nobles. Nobles and rich men and women would come to the group and ask them for different tasks like spying on someone,framing other people and even assassinating enemies.

The leader of the mecenary group had accepted and bought him as he had an affinity to shadow magic which was rare among mages. Shadow magic allowed one to move through shadows and control them to their own will and because of this it was good for assassinating. The mercenary group were quick and discreet,they left behind no evidence after them.

Daniel was personally trained by the leader as their affinities were almost the same as the latter's affinity was dark magic.The training was harsh and cruel as other times he would be asked to kill men and women who were held prisoner by them. The team leader said it would toughen him up so he does not freeze during a real assassination mission.

Two years passed and Daniel was now skilled in shadow magic and the sword. It was also at this time he was received his first mission and it was from a woman from the royal harem.
She wanted the mesenaries to assassinate someone else from the royal harem and to make it look like an accident. She was a cat shifter and she offered a large sum of money making the leader unable to refused the offer even if it meant going against the king.

Daniel was born in the Urkol kingdom which was a kingdom dominated by beastmen in the western part of Vermio continent. Beastmen were superior magical beasts who resemble beasts in a way and they mainly consist of shifters who could change form between human and certain beasts. Shifters differed from magical beasts as the were born with both human and beast forms.

Urkol was rulled by a king who was a dragon shifter and was well know for his monstrous power in both magic and swordsmanship. He did not have a queen or consort but had a large harem. This harem consisted of both females and males. The king was also known for being protective and very possessive of his possessions which included his harem,he would kill anyone with ill will towards what's his .

Because of this the leader of the mercenary group decided to carry out this mission personally but he brought Daniel along to observe . The royal palace was heavily guarded and protected but being the leader,with his skill they did not have a hard time getting in and finding their target.

They found their target to be very beautiful attractive female snake shifter. Despite her beauty the leader killed her without hesitation since mercenaries were raised to not be controlled by their emotions and desires, however despite his skills he could not hide from the king as immediately after the female died the king was already headed their way and there was no escape. At this moment the leader decided to release Daniel from the group which meant destroying the mark on his body.

This mark was actually a soul mark which restriction one's soul from going against the group and making sure they obey every order given by the caster . This mark basically seals one's fate to serve the group forever and only the caster can release or cancel the mark .

The leader told him that he is young and still has a lot to live for,he wanted Daniel to live a life different from their own as Daniel unlike the other members didn't chose his own fate but it was chosen for him when his own mother sold him to them. With that he gave him his storage ring(a space affinity magic equipment which has a small space or room inside used to store objects ) which contained all his treasures inside.

Daniel was shocked but did not refuse the man so he took the opportunity given to him. The leader told him to use his shadows to escape the palace and leave the kingdom and so Daniel did not waste time and did just that leaving the kingdom going to another called the Saintos kingdom in the eastern part of the continent dominated by humans.

He travelled for three months before arriving were he got registered at the border and randomly choose a town to live in and this town happened to be Haoru town. He decided to work as a knight not because he felt the obligation to protect the people but simply because he wanted something to that was at least familiar to the mecenary group because whether it's a knight or mecenary they have to battle and during battle they have to kill.

Fifteen years passed by and during this time he had worked hard rising up the ranks until he became captain of one of the knight divisions. During the fifteen years of his stay Daniel had never had a relationship nor had he been attracted to anyone emotionally nor physically. People were afraid of him as rumors passed around about how he was ruthless and savage.

He did cooperate well with his squad but that was only during work. He basically did not have a social life at all. Daniel always felt lonely inside but he did like the peace,with no more business involving nobles. His life was turned upside down one day though when he met him.

The man had just been allocated to his squad and had just finished knight training. Daniel had not thought much of him at first until he saw his eyes. The man's dark brown eyes showed maturity, someone who had experienced great pain and has experienced harsh life. His eyes did not match his age for the man looked young in his early twenties and this made Daniel curious.

He observed the man and found his attitude to be bright as the man brought laughter to anyone around him and even he himself always found it hard not to smile when he saw or heard the man talking. This man was knight Gideon. The man unlike others was not afraid of him as he would always catch the man staring at him with eyes not full of stare, condensation or disgust but full of interest and praise.

His life became a little brighter with the man's presence. It was after one year everything changed as Daniel started to feel things, emotions that he was taught to forget in the mercenary group and that was desire. Daniel was shocked that his stoned heart still had the ability to feel but was not surprised when he found it directed at his knight, yes his knight, Gideon. He had come to care for the knight that he even enchanted the knight's shadow to protect him from anything that would threaten his life.

He had also come to longe for the man for he wanted to see him every day even if it's just a glance. Daniel knew the knight felt the same for he would occasionally catch him staring at him trying to be subtle but failing. His eyes now stared at him with want and something else he could not figure out but it was intense and soft at the same time.

It took him another year to find out that this was what they call love, what Gideon had in his eyes for him was love and he knew deep in his heart he did too ,if his heart beating a hundred miles per minute once he saw the man and him wanting to talk to him whenever he saw him was not enough recognition of love,he didn't know what was. He had always planned to confess to the man when the time was right and perfect. When he actually gathered enough courage to talk to him and when he actually knew what he would say he would confess and make the man his.

But fate is cruel for he found himself dying in the arms of the man he loved . He knew if he did not say what he felt he would never have the chance but he did not know where to start and time was not on his side. He instead choose to save the man's life by summoning a shadow that would take him to safety. However much to his suprise the man refused and beat him to confessing first. Daniel was happy that the man felt the same for him as he did to him. But was sad that it happened when he was dying so when he found his beloved trying and struggling to speak his heart out he helped him and chose to confess too.

'i wish we had more time so I could spoil you with my love,to experience new things together and for me to see you being happy '

In his fading consciousness that though rang in his head, until all went blank and his beloved's face disappearing from his sight.