The Graff Pink (part 1)

The year is 2080, and ninety per cent of the world has been systematically divided into wealth classes

The year is 2080, and ninety per cent of the world has been systematically divided into wealth classes. We have the wealthy, called the Elites, who live in palaces that are decorated by overly priced relics. Sometimes I wonder if they ever think to themselves "I don't need this," but that's not any of my business now is it?

I heave a sigh and focus on what is my business, which is serving tables, and hoping that I don't have to deal with an Elite snob tonight. I stride into the ballroom and am met by a fancy crowd, guests in brand-new tuxedos and gowns that will probably be forgotten after tonight. I weave my way through other busy waiters, a bottle of golden bubbles in one hand and flute glasses in the other. I head straight to a table where two women and two men chat, one of the men, by the name Lanet Hines, whom I recognize from tabloids seems uninterested in the conversation. I'm not surprised, the Elite gather in events like this and pretend to like each other, but what they really want to do is flaunt who is the wealthiest and then go about their business.

When I reach the table, I make sure to put on a friendly smile and place the expensive champagne on the table.

It must be nice being an Elite, this bottle would get someone at least 6 months of rent where I'm from. My smile almost falters at the thought.

When I pour the champagne, Lanet Hines' eyes meet mine and he gives me a sly-dimpled smile that almost makes me drop the bottle in my hand.

"Finally, some drinks." one of the women says, wrapping her jewelled hand around the flute and sipping her champagne with the most practised grace I have never seen.

"Can I get you anything else?" I smile.

"Do you know when this auction will start? I am getting tired of waiting," the other man asks his friends, completely ignoring my question.

I linger around the ballroom for a while before going back into the kitchen.

"How long do I have to keep rubbing shoulders with these people?" I stand in a corner and pretend to keep busy.

"Just until the auction starts. Can you believe the kind of hand soap they have in this bathroom?" The excited voice of my little sister and partner in crime Ariel chimes in from the hidden audio piece in my ear.

"Ariel you're supposed to be in the ballroom," I grit my teeth.

"I needed a break, these damned shoes are killing me," I imagine my tomboyish sister, in her fancy evening dress, walking in high heels and can't help but sniffle a laugh.

From the kitchen, I hear the host announce that the auction is about to begin.

"They're moving to the auction room. I'm going to change into something more fitting." I announce into my earpiece, so Ariel is aware to take her ass back into the ballroom.

I quickly get into the kitchen supply closet and change out of my disguise as a waiter and into my tux, black slim-fit pants, and a simple white shirt, and I top it off with a black jacket that hugs around my body perfectly. I know I look good, coz I feel good.