Life On The Other Side

LANET HINES' POV

After spending time with Beau and his nephew Star, I sit on the couch in the living room, waiting awkwardly for Beau to bring me a blanket.

"Here you go, I'm sorry to uh, for the couch. We weren't expecting guests, Teddy is using the guest room."

"No, no, this is fine, thank you." I honestly have no idea why I'm still here, what if they kill me in my sleep or something? Nobody knows where I am.

"If you need a change of clothes, I can lend you something. Think I have a few stuff that could fit you." Beau smiles as if to ease me from my thoughts.

"I would like that."

"Alright, follow me." He walks up the stairs, and I follow behind him.

"Your home is bigger than it looks from the outside."

He shrugs, "I guess."

I follow him into a bedroom that looks quite spacious compared to the rest of the clustered house. So nice and simple. He has a large floor-to-ceiling window that is currently showing a nice beautiful view of the pale crescent moon.

"Lanet?

I snap my eyes to Beau, who holds some pyjamas out to me. I realize then that I had spaced out. "Sorry, you have a nice place and the view is beautiful."

"Thank you, the view is beautiful at night, all you see is the dark skies, moon, and sometimes the stars, during the day it's meh," he sighs

I take the pyjamas from his hands and he directs me to the bathroom. "If none of these fit, then you'll just sleep in your birthday suit."

I chuckle, "Silly little boy"

I head into the bathroom and decide to take a quick bath first. The water is perfectly warm as I enter. At least they have hot water. I think to myself, but immediately feel horrible about the thought. It's like telling someone who is eating out of a trash can that at least they get to eat.

I've never really been exposed to this world, I wonder why have I been that ignorant. My mind goes back to when I drove into town and how it looked.

I think about Beau, I'm sure I am not the first person he has ever stolen from, he could've been an elite by now, but he chooses to stay here and help these people. Wait, if he is a thief, and he's been doing this for a while, has he never been caught? If someone saw me with him would that ruin my reputation? Would they recognize him? A lot of questions go through my head, but one that I keep asking myself is whether I'm so lucky to have found him or if he wanted me to find him, but why would he risk it?

My skin begins pruning. I quickly wash my body and step out of the tub. Once I have gotten myself dry, I go through the pyjamas Beau has handed to me. "These are quite small for a man my size." But you know the saying, beggars are not choosers. I put on the ones that look a little large, they're still a little tight, and the pants leave a good 15 centimetres from the ankle, so yeah, I definitely look ridiculous, but they're more comfortable than a suit. Plus they're his pyjamas, so that's cute.

I smile shyly as I open the door to his bedroom, I know Beau is going to laugh when he sees how silly I look.

I half expect him to be sitting on his bed or something, but Beau lays flat on his stomach, one leg swinging over the edge of the bed. Is he already sleeping?

"Beau?" I call out softly

"Hmm," he stirs as if he's about to wake up but he's back to sleeping instantly.