Epilogue

A few months later, I settled into Lanet's home and started work as a medical consultant at Zane's company.

"Dr Langley, please do not stay up all night working or I'll have security escort you home tonight." Zane and a security guard peek their heads into my office, with Zane giving me a stern look.

"Fine, I'll be out right on time."

"Not even by a minute late." Zane points a knowing finger at me.

"I'll make sure of it sir." The guard adds

I laugh as I shoo them away so I can finish the rest of my work.

The guard leaves, but Zane remains standing at my door. "Lanet can't keep having dinner by himself and I can't have an exhausted consultant. Your health matters too. So pack up."

I look at the clock on my wall. Crap, I almost forgot, we have a dinner date tonight.

______________________________

Star now lives with me in the city while he goes to school, sometimes on weekends he goes back to the district to visit his mother and see his friends.

"Hey, uncle Beau! You came." Star runs toward me and throws his arms around my waist. Lanet or sometimes the butler has been picking him up from school and I guess I've been working too much, but today, I took some time off to be with Star.

"Yes, I took the rest of the day off, shall we go get some ice cream?"

"Yessss, is Mr Hines coming too?"

"No, it's just us buddy, but he's picking you up tomorrow."

"Oh man, I wish he was here." Star pouts and I feel a little jealous that I'm slowly getting replaced by a Mr Hines.

"You see him every day" I point out

"But can we get him something too?"

I sigh, there's no winning here. "Of course."

Lanet is now like family to Star, he has grown very fond of him. More like they've grown fond of each other and I love that for them.

A FEW MONTHS LATER

I've finally met Lanet's parents and they pretty much didn't even give me a chance. Apparently, they have a nice beautiful woman somewhere out there for their handsome GAY son. A huge emphasis on gay.

It's funny, really, like at what point do they accept that I, Beau Langley, who will never inherit any wealth is actually with their son?

I just wonder how Lanet is the way he is. He's really different from them. It's true that sometimes it's up to you as an individual to choose how you want to live your life, and how you want to treat people. It's true that our horrible experiences with the people close to us are there to build us into greater people. Lanet turned himself into a good man.

A YEAR LATER

We're gathered with our friends and my family at the playground that just opened in my district. No matter where I live, this is my district, it will always be home.

Ariel is now her own boss. She is currently working on designing a new city that will be affordable for most people and where everyone can live together. She got married to Teddy a few weeks ago.

Stanz has been travelling the world, finding the most ridiculous life-threatening shit to do and getting paid for it. I don't know what it is she does exactly, but last time she was in a skiing competition in Mt. Denali and she won millions from it.

Cecilia is now an internationally known star and we're best friends now that I live in the city. Who would've thought that we could actually end up liking, more like tolerating each other?

"Alright, attention, attention." Everyone's attention goes to Nova and Sam who stand together. A little birdie told me that they were now dating. I'm not sure if I should be happy for them considering that they're both the most impatient people I've met, but maybe that works for them.

"Today we celebrate the progress we've all made, be it small or big, we've made a difference." Nova smiles brightly. "Here's to this beautiful playground, our two new schools, the ongoing development of our hospital and the housing program that has built houses for those who lost their homes during the unfortunate time."

She turns to Zane, who is standing there with another one of his escorts, a part of me is curious why he would rather just have escorts. "Thank you, Zane White, Lanet Hines and everyone present here for making this possible."

"Now, if you look behind you, you'll see that everyone's story has its own happy ending." She giggles and let me just say, I've never heard her giggle before, so I am surprised to hear such a sound come from her lips.

Everyone turns around and gasps, I turn around confused, only to see Lanet on one knee and a small box in his hand.

Oh my God.

When he opens it, there's a silver ring, it's adorned by one of the pieces of the Hope Diamond.

"Beau Langley, will you make me the happiest and luckiest man alive? Will you marry me?"

My skin buzzes with excitement. I love Lanet and I'd be lying if I say I've never thought of getting this committed.

People around me have smiles on their faces, my dad has a hand over his chest with a warm smile.

Me, I just have both hands over my mouth, both surprised and speechless.

"Babe?" Lanet looks at me nervously.

"Yes, Lanet! A million times yes."

He seems to release a breath of relief for a moment and then he cheerfully slips the ring into my finger before kissing me excitedly.

"But your family heirloom?" I ask, my hand shaking slightly.

"I want you to be my family."

I have no words to return, all I can do is smile.