When Things Go Wrong

BEAU LANGLEY'S POV

"You're so sure I will love this date you've planned."

"I am hopeless like that. I live to impress."

We lay tangled together a little longer. Sometime later we're both dressed and ready to leave.

"I know you're tired, but we're going to have to take a short hike to our first destination," Lanet says

"Okay. Let's go."

Soon we're quietly walking on a trail of a nearby park, hand in hand with Lanet. He refuses to tell me where we're going, so I'm just following him.

"Just a few more minutes we'll be there."

I roll my eyes. "Still won't tell me where we're going?"

He gives my hand a gentle squeeze. "It's a surprise."

A short while later we arrive at a pond, there's a picnic set out right next to it under a tree.

"This is us." Lanet gestures to the picnic

"How and when did you do this?"

"Magic," he laughs as he sits down on the picnic blanket and pats the empty spot beside him for me to sit

Wow, I never imagined he would go this far, I thought we'd eat at a restaurant or something.

"Beau, are you alright?" he looks up at me nervously. "It's too much, isn't it?"

"No, this is perfect, I love it."

Instead of sitting down beside him, I drop myself in between his legs and then lean back onto his chest. "I think I like it better here."

He chuckles while wrapping an arm around me. "I was hoping you would."

It's as if there's no one else around us as we eat and chat. He asks me personal questions about myself that I'm more than happy to answer now that he knows who I am.

"It feels like a long time ago when I couldn't even get you to tell me your name."

"And there goes my brick wall taking its form again."

"You would not dare." Lanet gasps dramatically.

"I would not even if I wanted to. I'm already in too deep."

We both laugh carelessly, but that is soon brought to an end when I hear a click and then a shutter sound beside us.

"What was that?" I sit up.

"You there!" Lanet shouts and a man emerges from behind the tree and runs off.

"Shit."

He's already far away before anyone can react.

"We can never have peace, fucken reporters." I hear a group of people murmur as they walk past me and Lanet.

"I'm sorry Beau, this is supposed to be a private place, but I guess that doesn't mean anything to reporters."

"Did that guy take a picture of us?" I turn to look at Lanet behind me, who runs a frustrated hand over his face.

My heart beats nervously. This definitely complicates my life.

"I am sorry I couldn't act fast enough."

"I'm so fucked and not in a good way." my life was so much easier because I was not important or famous.

"Beau, I'm really sorry, you were leaning on me and it took you a while to...,"

"Don't Lanet. It's no one's fault." I look around to see that most of the people who were here are now gone.