EX Chapter 1 | Bad Moods

School had just ended, the wind blew the cold autumn winds and the orange leaves around, and the afternoon sun bathed the buildings in its warm light. Today was a perfect and calm day for Kenji; everyone was relatively tame today, probably because of the weather Kenji thought. Kirishima was showing Kenji this new anime series he's planning to watch with the Bakusquad, Yaoyorozu invited Kenji and Todoroki, and Iida for a study session for next week's test, and Sato just taught him how to make the perfect cheesecake. He liked these moments with his class, there was no fighting, no screaming, and no overwhelming noise, it was just a chill day.

Even Katsuki was tame, all he did was play with Kenji's hand while the brunette talking to others, or he would just absently stare out the window. Was he in a bad mood? Was he okay? Kenji has never seen Katsuki this tame. So he asked.

"You feeling alright Suki?" Kenji asked as he walked down their street, "Yeah... I'm good. I was supposed to ask if you were okay." Katsuki asked, his thumb brushing over Kenji's knuckles. "What makes you think I'm not okay?" Kenji's grip on Katsuki's hand tightens, "I'm in a pretty good mood today." Kenji boasts, smiling at the blonde. But Katsuki didn't buy it. Kenji was hiding something, and only Katsuki knew what it was.

"You're masking again. Come on Kenji, how am I gonna help you if you're not honest with me." Katsuki pleaded, his voice calm and mellow knowing that cussing or yelling at Kenji would only make it worse, "You're putting up a front. What happened." Katsuki demanded, he still kept his mellow tone, but it was still a demand. "Alright. Earlier today, I encountered some old friends while I was attending school. And let's say we had a civil conversation," Kenji said, stopping in his tracks and taking a deep breath, "It got pretty heated, then... well I got out of that reunion alive. I'm pretty sure they won't bother me anymore." Kenji chuckled and started walking again.

"I'll take your word for it. But, you know you're different now right? For the better of course." Katsuki reassured Kenji, and the boy just nodded. "Mom and Dad are out, and so are Auntie and Uncle. You want anything for dinner?" "Wait why is the old hag and old man not home?" "Mom invited them on a trip. They'll be back by tomorrow." Kenji replied, unlocking Katsuki's front door. "I'll cook dinner, you go and get cleaned up." Katsuki offered and Kenji went upstairs silently. Katsuki was about to bring out some curry cubes, vegetables, and beef when Izuku called the blonde, "What the hell do you want Deku?!" Katsuki exclaimed "Calm down Kacchan! It's about Kenji earlier today." Hearing Kenji's name was enough for Katsuki to set aside his unfounded anger, "What about Kenji?" Katsuki asked, putting his earphones on as he prepared to cut vegetables.

What happens next is an intense 10-minute back-and-forth between the two while Katsuki cooked one spicy and one mild curry; Kenji left out a lot of details when he told Katsuki what happened, and Katsuki was both pissed and concerned for Kenji. "Is that all Deku?" Katsuki asked, "That's what Aizawa-sensei told me." Izuku replied. Katsuki thanked Izuku before dropping the call, he turned off the fire and decided to walk up to his room where Kenji was.

Katsuki knocked on the door.

Nothing.

He knocked again.

Nothing.

Katsuki silently opened the door and sees Kenji standing in front of his full-length mirror without his shirt. "Hey..." Katsuki softly said, and Kenji hummed in response. The two stayed like that for a minute until Kenji spoke, "I look terrible," He said and Katsuki walked to him, "What makes you say that?" Katsuki asked "All these scars, these marks, this body... I look just bad. Not only that, the dark circles under my eyes, my constantly resting depressed face. I just look so terrible." Kenji replied, "Yeah looks are overrated but... my grades are just hanging on by a thread, I'm not as good-looking as you or Todoroki, as smart as Yaomomo or Izuku, heck my quirk just makes everyone feel uncomfortably aware of their emotions." Kenji continued, staring at his right hand as an all too familiar darkness started to cover it.

"Well... sure you may be those things," Katsuki replied, shocking Kenji a bit, "But in reality, you compensate for being academically average by being one of the most hardworking people I know. You're cute and good-looking, you love books, you have a big heart, you know what to say when people are upset, you take care of the class both physically and mentally, and your quirk is probably the most powerful one in the entire school, and let's not forget," Katsuki said, pulling in Kenji and kissing his neck, making the brunette laugh, "You have a cute laugh." Katsuki said kissing Kenji's forehead. "Whatever those losers said doesn't matter; they don't know the real you. The you that I will love forever." Katsuki said, making Kenji smile, "I'll never get used to this side of you." Kenji jests "Tsk. I'm not always yelling and screaming. This is a side of me only you are allowed to see." Katsuki retorted and Kenji laughed.

"Honestly, I like both sides of you ." Kenji booped Katsuki's nose "You should finish cooking, I'll finish changing." Kenji said, hugging Katsuki tightly, "And thanks... for getting rid of my bad mood."

"No problem."