Chapter 2

Zoe startles Cindy by taking the book out of her hands and throws it back to me.
"Why don't you just back off, Cindy! Zoe made eye contact with Cindy and she was speechless. Cindy crosses her arms and looks down at her feet.
"Oh hey there, Sweetie. Are you standing up for your bestie? Aw, how cute." Cindy rolled her eyes with a smirk towards Zoe. Zoe looked like she was going to punch her, she looked so furious.
"You wanna know what your problem is? You don't know when to shut up for once and mind your own business. You think you're so pretty and tough, but really, you're just a brat who doesn't have a life of your own!" Cindy was pale and expressionless.
She almost had tears in her eyes. "Also I wonder what your parents would say about this, Huh?" Cindy's eyes got dark and watery. She turned away before I could see a tear in her eye. She throws my cell phone and headphones back to me with hesitation, and takes a step back.
"Fine, here you go Loser." Cindy said weakly. Then she walked away. As Cindy bumped past her, Zoe gave Cindy a dirty look and smirk. Zoe steps towards me and nudges my arm.
"Wow, Zoe. How and why did you do that? I can't believe you did that." I asked, still sorta shocked. Zoe rolled her eyes at me again and hugged me gently around my neck. "How about a 'thank you, Zoe', and besides, I wouldn't just let her torment you like that." I just stood there still in shock but relieved.
"Oh come on, that brat got what she deserved. I told you I'd always have your back when it comes to her." Zoe had a point there but I didn't give her a reaction. I gave Zoe a warm smile and put my headphones around my neck, like a necklace.
A few minutes later, my C. P. S. guardian, Ms. Juliana calls my name.
"Leah, come." I hesitated and looked back at Zoe as she handed me my bag. "Thanks, Zoe, I have to go. But thanks for everything though." I wave at Zoe and she quickly smiles.
"You betcha, good luck! Text me later!" Zoe whispers as I start to walk towards Ms. Juliana. I caught up to her and took another step forward.
"Hey, Leah. Did you have a good time with your friend?" Juliana asked me in a soft voice. "Yeah, I guess I did, for a little while, but sorta dramatic at first.'' I spoke quickly. Ms. Juliana smiled and rubbed my shoulder.
"Yup. There's always going to be drama. Never ends, huh?'' Ms. Juliana and I both kept walking until we got in the car.
When we got in, Ms. Juliana reached for the radio to put on country rock music while I sat in the backseat, laying my head on the window and putting my headphones on listening to my own music.