Chapter 17

Leah's POV

I wake up to the sound of police sirens and an officer looking down at me with his walkie- talkie and Cindy next to him, and another officer handcuffing the man in black. I move my head to look around, Cindy and the officer. I look at them with confusion.
"What happened?" I asked Cindy and looked back at the officer who still had his walkie- talkie by his mouth. "Hello there! I'm Officer Colton, I want to ask you some questions, would that be okay with you?" Officer Colton asks while Cindy grips my hand to help me up. I didn't know what to do. I forgot what happened before I passed out. I look over at the man in black whose hands are secured with handcuffs. I recognized him and realized what happened before I got knocked out.
I stare back at the officer who is still waiting for my answer and Cindy by my side. I nodded my head for yes and I got up so fast that I felt lightheaded. The officer guides me and Cindy to his black and blue police car with his lights flashing blue and red.
A little while later, Cindy and I arrived at the Sheriff's office. The building was sorta big but it looked small from my perspective. When officer Colton took us to his office, me and Cindy took a seat on two chairs near his desk. By his desk hanging were a huge bulletin board with sticky notes and a few pieces of sheeted paper with unknown written on them.
"What are your names?" the officer asked us while writing on his notepad. Cindy and I look at each other and back at the officer.
"I'm Leah Luvi." I say and glare at Cindy.
"Cindy Ame." the officer wrote on his notepad as he asked more questions.
"Okay, please tell me what happened, in that place?" Cindy and I looked at each other again like we read each other's minds.
"All I remember is that that man wearing all black hit me in my head with his gun, and I blacked out. Woke up and saw you."
Officer Colton stared at me like he was studying me. "Where did you girls come from, as in, where do you live?" Cindy and I both say "Tiverside County." Officer Colton started writing more words on his notepad. "Who do you both live with?" He stopped writing. "My C.P.S. guardians, Vanessa Juliana and Jamie Mark." he once again glances at his notepad and back up at Cindy and I.
"I live with my parents, Kelsi McGovern and Justin Ame. I have an older sister named Jessica but she moved away when I was nine." Cindy told the officer and he nodded. He glares straight up at me again. "Where's your parents?" I looked down at my feet, trying to tear up so I took a deep breath and sat up tall. "My mother passed away in a car accident, and I have no idea where my father is. I haven't heard from him in a while." Cindy pats my arm and gives me a side smile. I gave the officer a sad look and I swore he read my mind. "I understand. I know it's hard for you, and I'm sorry. But may I ask why you were wandering around that abandoned school?" I took a deep breath and sat up and smoothed the top of my hair.
"Honestly, I rode away from home, and had to get fresh air but I found my old middle school that reminded me of my childhood." I said. Officer Colton studies me again and reads my mind again. "Why'd you run away from home?"
"To get away from them, my C. P. S. guardians I'd told you about." I spoke up.
"Why don't you like them?" the officer said with hesitation. I wasn't sure of what or how to answer that. I liked Ms. Juliana and Jamie, but I don't know how to feel about her drinking alcohol around me or with other people. I was uncomfortable.
"I-I don't know." I lied. I obviously knew why but I didn't wanna get them in trouble or cause drama, so I just brushed it off.

"Alright, that's all for now. I'll ask just your friend questions later but we need to get to the bottom of this." the officer said that as he stood up out of his chair and walked across the room, like he was thinking. "To the bottom of what?" I asked with confusion.