Chapter 19

Cindy held me back as the officers threw my father in the police car. "No! He's the only parent I had left! Why!" I start sobbing a little. Cindy gives me another small hug to try to comfort me.
In the window, my father stares at me with an evil smile on his face. I cry harder in Cindy's arms and she covers my eyes with her hands. "I'm sorry Leah. It'll be okay, everything will be okay." Cindy still held me in her arms and tears flooded my face, I'd look like a racoon. My father is going to go to prison for what he's done. For two years he had been trying to harm me, caused the school shootings, and burnt down my old school. He deserves to go to jail.
All of a sudden I hear Ms. Juliana's voice behind me. Before I could turn around, I'd already be in her arms, Tight and safe.
"Oh my gosh, Leah! I'm so glad you're safe! I'm so sorry about last night! I've been looking everywhere for you! I was drunk and I..."
I interrupt her with a big smile. "It's okay, I forgive you." She wraps me tighter in her arms. I felt so relieved to see Ms. Juliana again. I actually missed her so much! I give her a bigger hug, like the way I hugged my mother. Cindy glares at me with her hood up and she looks broken. She had her hands on her arms like she was cold and shivering. I felt really bad for her. She had to go back home too. I wanted her to stay with us where she was safe and sound, and had a warm place to stay, but Ms. Juliana doesn't know her very well. I ran up to Cindy for a big hug. I saw tears in her eyes and felt her shaking in my arms. I smile big.
"I don't want to go home, Leah. I don't know what I'll be coming home to. I can't." I put my hands on her shoulders and smiled at her.
"Cindy, listen to me, you're strong and you can do it. Don't let them hurt you on the inside or out. It'll be okay." Cindy smiles at me with more tears in her eyes. "I'm going to call my sister. I don't know what else to do. Do you think she'll let me stay?" She asked. I nodded and she smirked. Ms. Juliana taps my shoulder and nudges her head towards the car. "Leah, we should get going soon, say goodbye to your friend and I'll meet you in the car." Ms. Juliana said before opening her car door. I turn back to Cindy who still looks sad.
"You can always call me, remember."
"I will."
Cindy and I wave at each other one more time before walking to Ms. Juliana who is holding the door for me. "Thank you." I thanked her and she smiled. "You're very welcome, Leah."
I buckle myself in the passenger seat of Ms. Juliana's car, with my motorcycle keys.
"Oh yes! Almost forgot about those." I say with a giggle and Ms. Juliana steps on the pedals, backs up the car and turns the wheel. We were going to go to Tiverside County, to get my stuff from home and move them into my new home, with my adoptive mother, Ms. Juliana! I learned that everyone deserves a second chance and should forget about their past and focus on the present.