Chapter 13

I couldn't believe what I just read, so I carefully read the paper again. The words are the same. It all got to me so quickly.
"No! No! This couldn't be real! It can't be. Can it? My dad?!"
I rushed to throw the newspapers in my backpack and zipped it up. I started wondering where Cindy was, so I jumped up to look for her thinking back to the newspapers.
It was already a long day, but it was basically still early at night. I kept hearing voices everywhere I went as I walked through the hallways. For a moment I got another feeling I was being followed again.

Cindy's POV

Tears were streaming down my face like a waterfall again. I wanted to tell her everything, but I couldn't risk it. My secret I've been keeping for three years now. But I had no control of my words, so I finally spit them out. She seemed shocked or maybe I was surprised by her expressions. I also couldn't shoot her, that would have been a bad thing.
I didn't know where she was but I sorta wanted to look for her but not like this when I look like a red racoon. I couldn't hide my face much longer. This is the way I am, and I can't change it. I gripped my hair with my hands, slightly pulling it in my face. I took a deep breath to calm down.

Knowing that I'm not alone here makes me feel better. But I didn't know I'd be spending a while in a place with Leah. Again I wanted to look for her because I couldn't be alone much longer. After another breath, I stood up and grabbed my bag tight around my shoulders and sprinted in the hallway, until I ran into someone.

Leah's POV

I bumped into Cindy. I noticed her eyes looked sore and her face was red. She seemed rough and I couldn't blame her. I felt so bad for her. Hopefully she doesn't have that handgun on her.
We made eye contact and seemed like she was going to give me a hug.
"Are you okay, Cindy?"
"I'm sorry is what I am. For everything." she crossed her arms around her waist with her hair pulled between her arms and chest. I didn't expect an apology coming from her but I felt a sigh of relief.
"Cindy, so am I. I had no idea what you've been going through, and I should've been nicer to you. I'm going to give you a second chance." I smirk at her. She lets go of her waist and looks down at her feet and back up at me. I give her a small hug and wrap my arms around her shoulder softly. She felt tense at first but squeezed her hands on mine.
"It's okay, you didn't know. Thanks for respecting my privacy."
Cindy gave me a small smile and threw her hands in her pockets. Suddenly we both heard footsteps and a big bang in the hallways near us. Then I remembered the newspapers that were in my backpack.
"Cindy, I have something to show you."
I reach for the newspapers in my backpack to hand them to her. "What are these?" she asked me while raising her eyebrows.
"I'll explain later, we'll have to figure all of this out. I'll be right back." I said quickly before guiding her inside a janitor's closet to keep her safe. I rushed to the nearby hallway and looked everywhere until I spotted a man wearing all black with no mask but their hood covering their face staring at me.