Chapter 18

After Cindy and I answered questions from the police, I took a moment to myself on the side of the building. I took a seat on a white bench and took out my cell phone to dial Zoe's number. When I dialed the last number for her contact and pressed the call, it rang for a while. For a while, it rang and rang. Instead, she didn't answer and it went to voicemail. I took a deep breath after it said 'Please leave a message after the beep.'

"Hi Zo, I just wanted to tell you I'm alright, and I'm with Cindy. We've made up, so we're actually getting along right now. Hoping to see you soon, please call me back when you get the chance. Bye- bye Zo."
I hung up the phone, with a deep breath. I didn't know where she was or what she's doing. She usually always answers my calls so I don't know. Hopefully she's doing okay. Cindy sneaks around the corner and we make eye contact. She made her way over to sit on the bench next to me.
"Hey, I just wanted to check on you. How's everything going with Zoe? Did you talk to her?" she asked calmly. I switch my posture and sit up straight to face her with my arms holding my knees. "She didn't answer. She usually always answers my calls but it went to voicemail after a while." Cindy rested her hand on my shoulder and took a deep breath.
"Oh no, hopefully she's okay."
"I sure hope so." I looked at her and gave her a small smile. "I'm glad you and I worked things out." I say to her before giving her a hug. We walked back inside the building where officer Colton and the other were. Before I met up with the others, I stopped at the restroom to wash my face which had cuts on my cheek and another on my lip. I stare at my reflection in the mirror to try to collect my thoughts.

********************

After I met up with Cindy and the officer, we stood in front of a glass window into a white room with a table and a chair where the man in black was seated with handcuffs connected to the arm of the chair.
One of the officers sat across from him with two handguns and another pair of handcuffs. I saw that the man in black had gray gloves with a half of a snake tattoo showing. The tattoo reminded me of the tattoo my father had before he disappeared.
A moment passes and the officer talks in his walkie- talkie. "Yeah, I'm going to unmask him. Let's find out who this man is." the officer who is in the room with the man in black said while reaching for his hood. My eyes widened as if I'd seen a ghost, but I realized it was my father! Cindy rested her hand on my arm trying to comfort me before I could say anything.
"O-oh my gosh! Dad?!" I said out loud. I was so shook, I started stammering. The officers look at me with confusion.
"Wait, this man is your father?!" Officer Colton suddenly asked me like he didn't believe me. I thought to myself, that all of this made sense now. The newspapers were the hidden evidence. I still couldn't believe what I just saw.
The intruder was my father the whole time! This all explains why and how my dad disappeared after that one night. He was the man that had broken into my school for two years! Now he had to go to prison for his actions.