Chapter 3

We drove out of the parking lot of Lakeside mall and drove across a big gray bridge. I stare out of the window at the Lakeside river. The water was so shiny, it was beautiful. The sun was shining and the sky was bright blue.
I dozed off into my own zone as I got deeper into my music. I open my eyes to see Ms. Juliana's green eyes on me. I pulled my headphones off my ears quickly and looked at Ms. Juliana.
So Leah, are you up to see your dad soon? I mean you haven't seen him since last year." Ms. Juliana asked me politely.
"Uh, I don't know yet. I'm kinda nervous." I say while biting my lip and glance out the window. I put my headphones in my backpack down by my feet and took out my cell phone to check my notifications.

As soon as we pulled half way in our driveway, Ms. Juliana took a deep breath and turned to make eye contact with me. She looked nervous.
"Leah, I have something to tell you. But I don't know how you're going to take it easy." My eyes widened and I froze.
"What? W-what is it?" I stutter. She gave me a nervous expression and started to move her mouth."We are moving back to Tiverside in two days. Where you're from."
I shut my eyes and opened them back up. I was in shock. I titled my head quizzically and a look crossed my face. "What? But, why? No. I can't go back there. I hate it there."
Ms. Juliana closes her eyes, faces forward, putting her hands on the steering wheel. "I know. I'm sorry but we're going to have to. And your father wants to see you." I couldn't move.
The last words really got me like a bee sting. My father really did want to see me? I haven't seen him since last year so he's waiting for me? Many thoughts crossed my mind as we drove in silence.
Ms. Juliana kept on glancing back at me through the mirror. Was she serious? Are we really moving back to Tiverside.
Where does it all start? There's been too many shootings and crimes. Does she really want to take me back there?