Chapter 11

It's been an hour since we've walked around the school. Half of the school was damaged and the other half was black and with rust on the walls. The three of us got tired of walking around through the hallways. There were rooms that we didn't even know about. We got tired after a while, so we wanted to take a break soon.
"Ugh! We've been walking for hours." Cindy complains. I started getting annoyed so I stopped for a moment. "Okay, I need a break!" I say while taking out a bottle of water out of my backpack and start chugging. The three of us took a seat on a huge bench in the old cafeteria.
While I start chugging my water I notice Cindy staring at me and the bottle like she was dying of thirst. I stop drinking and stare back at her. I thought for a moment. Maybe I could give her just one drink. Wouldn't that be kind enough? She seemed like she was dying on the inside. I hesitated, but I reached over with the bottle in my hand and offered her a drink. She looked at the bottle, then back at me like I was crazy.
"What are you doing?" She asked me.
"Giving you some water. Why else would I be reaching across the bench to you? Cindy stared at me in shock, and back at the bottle. "Just take it!" I said after my arm got tired. She grabbed the water bottle out of my hands and started squirting water in her mouth. Zoe nudged my shoulder and gave me a small smile. Cindy grinned at me.
"Thanks, I guess." She handed the water bottle back to me, half full.
An hour after we got up to walk around again, we heard footsteps coming towards us so we wanted to find out who'd be here. The moment we turned our backs, Zoe's mother, Tahlia Jinara stood there holding a cell phone in her hand and stared at us.
"Mother? What are you doing here?" Mrs. Jinara glances at me, Cindy, and back at Zoe with a dirty look. "Zoe, we have to go! Right now! They're looking for us. I've been looking all over for you!" Mrs. Jinara said to Zoe. Cindy and I look at each other, then at Zoe in shock.
"Why? Why right now?" Zoe looked embarrassed. Her mother took a deep breath and gripped Zoe's arm. "We have to get out of here! Come with me! Hurry, they're looking for us." Mrs. Jinara shouted as she held Zoe's hand behind her back. Zoe glares back at me. "I have to go, Leah! Be careful." Zoe whispered out loud for me to hear. With that Zoe and her mother left, leaving the doors slam shut. Now it's just Cindy and I.
I turn to Cindy, who is giving me a dirty look with a handgun in her hand, and her backpack in the other.
"How'd this get here! I didn't put this here. You did this! Didn't you!" I stared at her with confusion. I couldn't get my eyes off the gun she held in her hand. I back away from her, putting my hands up. My heart skipped a beat and I froze.
"Woah! Cindy! Calm down. What are you doing?