one

Ariella

"Yes, I promise I'm fine staying at the hotel tonight. I know. I-. Okay, go do your work things, I'll be fine."

I hang up the phone with my brother, setting my phone down in frustration, and rolling over in the uncomfortable hotel bed. I'm supposed to be staying with him for the next week, but he had some work conference thing a few hours away tonight so he couldn't pick me up. I ended up booking a hotel room for the first night, figuring it would be easier to just stay somewhere else for one day rather than try to change my flights.

It's been fine, other than the fact that I landed less than 3 hours ago and I'm already bored. I feel like I've done too much scrolling through my phone today, and my brain is still three hours behind with the time difference I've yet to adjust to. I glance at the alarm clock on the bedside table, only to realize it's barely 8 pm. With a groan, I roll back over to grab my phone, seeing a notification from my best friend.

Lylah 8:03 pm

how's new york treating you??

me 8:03 pm

boring. i haven't even been here that long and i'm already losing my mind

Lylah

you should go out! you packed my favorite dress for a reason didn't you

me

alone though? i don't know

Lylah

why not? put yourself out there and have some fun. just watch your drinks and call me if you need me to put up a fake emergency...no one needs to know i'm on the other side of the country

Going out might not actually be a bad idea. Yeah, it's a little sketchy to go alone, but it would kill time and I'd probably just stay pretty sober.

me

fuck it, i'll go. but facetime while i get ready??

Pulling myself off of the hotel bed, I make my way over to my suitcase to start pulling everything I need out. I end up calling Lylah while I do my hair and makeup, talking about meaningless shit just like we would if she was getting ready with me. Throwing on the dress Lylah somehow convinced me to bring, I call an uber to a random club and make my way out the door.

Once I finally make it inside, I headed over to the bar for a drink

Once I finally make it inside, I headed over to the bar for a drink. I definitely don't want to drink to much since I'm alone tonight, but there's no way I'm making it longer than 5 minutes in this stuffy club without some alcohol in my system. While I wait for the bartender to make my drink, I turn around and watch the crowd dancing. I stand alone, people-watching for a bit when something, or rather someone, catches my eye.