fourteen

Ariella

"Ari! You're not even listening," Lylah's offended voice immediately catches my attention, bringing my gaze up from my phone to catch a look of hurt flash over her face. She tries to cover it up with a smile as soon as I turn my attention to her, but she's not quick enough with her facade and I honestly can't blame her.

This isn't the first time I've accidentally ignored her because I'm too busy texting, as much as I wish it was. I've been a shit friend since I got back home and Lylah's definitely getting fed up with me at this point.

I've been home for about a week now, and every free moment I have is spent wishing I wasn't here...and a lot of that time has been spent talking to Harry.

Ever since he called me after I got home, we've been texting and calling any time we have the chance. Everything just comes so naturally when it comes to him, it's so nice to have someone to talk to where the conversation just flows, even if it's about something stupid.

"Sorry-" I go to apologize, but Lylah's quick to cut me off.

"What are you so smiley about lately?" She interrupts, raising a brow at me as she stands directly in front of where I'm sitting on the couch.

"What are you talking about?"

Right as I try to defend myself, I feel my phone buzz in my hand, immediately catching my attention again. I glance down only to see the name that's been constantly on my mind for the past week flash across the screen, and low and behold, I feel my lips instinctively pull into a smile.

"That," Lylah answers my question, gesturing her hand at me. Before I have the chance to even think about her response, she's immediately snatching my phone out of my hands, reading the notification as a teasing smirk immediately takes over her face, "holy shit Ari," she says through a laugh, "Harry's got you all giggly lately?"

"I am not giggly," I retort, grabbing my phone back from her, "we're just friends."

As if the universe couldn't be any more against me, as soon as I read the message a short laugh escapes my lips before I can stop myself. It's not even that fucking funny, why'd I have to laugh?

"Yeah, sure," Lylah chuckles, obviously not believing me for even a second. "Just friends but his contact has a heart next to his name," she teases while taking a seat beside me.

"He put that there," I immediately defend, probably only making my case worse.

"You left it like that."

I roll my lips into my mouth, having no response. I'm honestly surprised this is the first time Lylah's said something to me, I'm pretty sure I've found a way to bring Harry up in every conversation lately.

"You like him-"

"I don't," I cut her off.

"Yes you do, are you kidding me?"

I let out a long breath, leaning my head back to stare at the crying. She's right, I don't think I can deny that anymore. I mean, I literally asked him to call me like 5 hours after I left, I didn't even call my best friend that soon after I got there in the first place.

It'll never work out though. Besides the fact that he's on the exact opposite side of the country, he's Niall's best friend, I can't do that. We're better off just being friends than risking ruining everything if things don't work out.

"Fine, maybe but I'll get over it," I turn to look at her again, "I'm sorry I was ignoring you, what were you saying?" I attempt to change the subject, praying she'll just drop it.