twenty-two

Harry

I don't know how many more times I can listen to my own voice on a loop before I lose my mind. I've been sitting in the studio for the last hour trying to figure out what's missing while I wait for Niall to come back with his sister. I'm excited to finally show her the song, especially now that it's pretty much finished with all of the instrumentals Zayn and I worked on all week, but I keep getting this feeling that something is missing.

Maybe I'm just getting in my head because I know Ari's listening to the song I wrote that's very obviously about her. I mean, everyone else thinks it's perfect, Niall of course, Z loves it, shit, even the band that I worked with said it was great. I can't get the feeling out of my system though, hence the reason I've been sitting here listening to my own song on repeat.

A soft knock on the door pulls me from my thoughts and I pause the music, turning around to see Niall walking into the room, Ari following close behind with a look of confusion taking over her face.

"Harry?" She somehow looks even more confused when she sees me, looking between me and Niall, "Okay, someone please tell me what the hell we're doing in a studio."

"I told you we've been working on a little something," Niall answers vaguely while making his way over to the soundboard, "come on, have a seat. I promise it's nothing bad."

Clearly not believing her brother's words, Ari snaps her attention over to me, looking for some sort of reassurance. "It's fine," I say with a laugh, "you'll love it."

I watch her hesitate before she sits down and Niall presses play on the recording the second she's seated. I can't keep my eyes off of her as the song plays, her eyes widening in surprise as soon as my voice rings through the speakers surrounding the room.

It doesn't take long for her to realize who the song is about, her cheeks heating to an insane shade of red when she meets my eyes. A smirk takes over my once nervous face, loving the reaction I'm getting from her.

Thank god Niall stays facing away from us as the tension grows thicker between me and Ari, occupied by something on his laptop while the track plays. She looks away from me, I'm assuming in an attempt to calm herself down, but I don't miss the way she crosses her legs as she breaks eye contact.

As the end of the song plays, I suddenly get an idea that shuts the annoying voice in my head telling me the song is missing something. It's a fucked up idea, especially considering Niall is producing the song, and I almost push it away entirely until Zayn pops his head into the studio asking Niall to go do something with him.

"Harry," Ari says in a warning tone as soon as Niall leaves the room.

"Shhh," I hush her, standing up and heading in her direction, "don't act like you didn't like it."

"Is it-" she stops herself mid-sentence as I stand over her, shifting her legs so I can stand between them.

"About you?" I finish for her, watching her avoid my eyes like her life depends on it. Finding way too much joy in teasing her, I lean down so my lips are mere inches away from her ear, "do you want it to be?"

She nods, almost instinctively, goosebumps covering the skin on her neck as my breath washes over her. I leave a feathered kiss against her jaw before pulling back to look at her face again. There's no hesitation now as her darkened eyes meet mine and my dick twitches in my pants.

"Wanna help me finish it, baby?"

"Mmhm," she hums in response, and I instantly grab her hand, moving as fast as I can.

I guide her over to the soundboard and she takes the seat I occupied earlier while I make my way over to lock the door to the studio, praying no one with a key decides to interrupt my risky plans.