Knotgrass

Heaven's just a sin away,

Woah, oh, just a sin away.

I can't wait another day;

I think I'm givin' in.

How I long to hold you tight,

Woah, oh, be with you tonight.

But that still don't make it right,

'Cos I belong to him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CW, dark speech and talk about Quinn's childhood might be upsetting to some readers. Readers discretion is advised. <3

I found myself pacing back and forth outside Professor Umbridge's office. I wasn't going to enter unless Liam and Draco had arrived. They may be arguing but they both seemed to give me a sense of comfort that I had never realised before. Not until now at least.

I had never been good with adults; especially on my own. They frightened me ever since I was younger. In my opinion, they were short tempered and invalidating. At least, that's what I grew up observing. My mother, a stubborn and bastardly woman, had always been rather rough on Liam and my older sister, Cameron. We hadn't found out until I was in my years previous to Hogwarts that my mother was bipolar. She's on medication now, but it is still hard. It helps with the ups and downs but not the anger as much. It isn't an excuse for what she's done but it definitely makes it easier to 'love' her.

I don't, though.

And I do not regret thinking such things.

"Alright, Quinn?" Liam's voice called from not too far away. He seemed in a better mood than he was before, which helped me feel better about the previous hour and a half.

"I'm fine," I shrugged with a small nod.

"Want to talk 'bout it?" He pushed, leaning against the wall. I assumed he was going to wait for Draco as well; I wasn't going to ask why.

"I said I'm fine. Please, I'm okay, really," I tried to reassure. God, he read me like a book no matter how much I tried to close the pages.

"What are we waiting for? Shall we get a move on and get this over with," Malfoy's voice cunningly seethed. "It's already dark out there," he explained cautiously. Before we could agree and enter office, the short idiotic woman stepped out, dressed in all pink as always.

"Alright then. Let's get a move on," Umbridge said shrilly with a small 'hm-mh!'. None of us said anything, instead we nodded and just trudged behind her. I was nervous about the whole thing.

***

The cool autumn air nipped at my skin the moment we started way down the trail that originally led to Hagrid's shack. Of course, once we arrived at the little house, the trail would be ignored and out into the depths of the forest.

"Nervous?" Draco's voice whispered close to my ear. I flinched when I realised he was right behind me. We were a couple yards behind Liam who was also a bit far from the Professor. Like before, I felt as if my stomach was ice.

"Would you believe me if I said I wasn't?" I replied, unsteadily, glancing up at him. His smooth fingertips brushed against the back of my arm and I found myself not being able to pull away. It made me feel warm inside, something I didn't notice I had been longing for a while until that moment last night.

"Want me to pretend?" He whispered back with a low chuckle. I noticed he was walking close to me, the warmth of him was quite reassuring. I was hoping that he was doing that to comfort me; whether he was or not, it was working.

"Only if you want," I replied shakily. I felt like I was being over dramatic about this but for the love of god it was the forest. It was even unclear to the staff of what lurks in the trees and bushes.