89: Rengoku

"Kyōjurō."

This world is a like void; a place without scent, touch and, taste.

He half expected this isolation, this deprivation of his senses.

He half expected nothingness.

A simple cease of his existence.

"Kyōjurō!"

With his eyes still closed, he swears he catches a whiff─a pleasant scent of lavender and jasmine that begins to surround him, consume him, and overwhelm him.

It is far from unpleasant, no─this smell is soothing, comforting, and familiar. It welcomes back the memories that he that he'd hold dear and cherished.

Memories that he have clung to, dug his fingers into, latched onto as if they were his most valued possessions.

"Wake up, my son!"

Golden and red eyes slowly fluttered opened. A white light of purity blinds his vision momentarily. It should've hurt, it should've burnt his sensitive retina and rendered him blind, but nothing of the sort happened as his irises adjusted.

Once fully awakened and focused, Kyōjurō founds himself laying in a propitious land of daffodils and freesia with the sky above painted in mixed colors golds, pinks, and blues.

Slowly, he sits up from his laying position, taking a moment to collect his thoughts, before maneuvering to himself to stand up fully.

With wary eyes, he stared into this beautiful unknown world.

Is this reality?

No. This didn't feel like reality as he saw half the land was blank like an unfinished canvas.

His legs automatically walked forward, it was as if he had strings attached to him and he was a marionette being controlled by an unseen puppeteer.

Before he could step forward into the apparent white space, he suddenly feels a pair of arms gently wrapped around his body.

Looking over his shoulder, he's met with a being of extraordinary beauty. An angelic being that resembled a human female. With her unparalleled grace and elegance, and supernaturally attractive face and figure, there is little way to differentiate her from human.

She dons beautiful robes mixed of pink, white, and aqua-greens, and a long translucent cloth that floats about her head that Kyōjurō surprisingly knows is a "hagoromo."

A Tennyo! A beautiful servant of the Emperor of Heaven (literally God) as she tilts her head in the other direction he's not facing.

Kyōjurō follows and sees a cozy, wooden minka that he didn't even notice was there.

Hesitant, Kyōjurō considered his options: stay there or walk towards it?

The Tennyo (or angel) released him as she pointed towards the minka and it was clear that he's indeed supposed to go there.

Going with the latter, Kyōjurō started towards the house. He had an inkling feeling where he was and his memories were slowly filling in the empty spots.