Chapter 24 - saiki pov

We've been back in school for nearly a week now. Ever since the festival y/n has been quiet and distant. Not only with me but even with her friends. I have no idea what's worrying her. It annoys me sometimes how I can't read her mind. It makes her unpredictable and I don't like not knowing what she's thinking. I wonder what's worrying her.

"Saiki. You're staring again"

"Well I can't tell what you're thinking, why's your head in clouds?"

"I'm fine. Don't worry about it"

"You shouldn't lie to a psychic"

"You shouldn't push a psychic"

"Y/n? Y/n? Why are you staring at Saiki?" Yumehara says getting y/n's attention, both of us looking away.

"Sorry! I was just zoned out!"

Sure you were.

The bell rings and class begins. All through class y/n remains quiet. Even while we're put into partners, she barely talked to Yumehara (who she was pared with). Even during break she was quiet and eventually left.

Good grief this is annoying me.

It's lunch time now. I need to approach her. Not so much that I care but it's just annoying me she's acting different and I don't know why. I did say an emotional psychic is dangerous.

And of course she's no where to be seen. Not in the cafeteria or even the classroom. Guess I'll use clairvoyance!

Ah, so she's on the rooftop. I'm pretty sure students aren't meant to be there. But when you want to be alone it's a common place for students to go.

"Hey"

"Huh! Sigh You startled me."

"Tell me what's wrong."

"I've already said I'm fine"

"And I've already said I know you're lying, don't need to be a psychic to figure that out"

"What do you care anyways? Wouldn't you rather be alone?"

"I can't enjoy my time alone when you're sigh is heard in a 5 mile radius"

"Shut up." She looks away from me.

I walk over to her, putting my hand on the rail she's leaning forward on.

"Tell me."

"You shouldn't be bothered by my problems"

Out of no where I'm reminded of my birthday. What she said at the cafe.

"Does it have to do with what you told me at café mami?"

"...so you figured it out? Yeah. The powers I've been cursed with obviously have made life more complicated. All I wanted was a normal life. You know, acting normally, having friends, enjoying school. And while I still have to deal with the things the universe throws at me. Whenever I hear people tell me my attitude has changed I feel a bit sour. I guess I've just been so serious in the past, self-entitled in a way. While it's good I've changed now, I guess I just feel a lump in my throat..."

I see. So that's the problem. She really does pass for normal now. Because I really don't get it. If I passed for normal I'd be more than happy. Though I suppose I see somewhat where she's coming from. I have to admit I'm certainly not one to show much emotion.

"Good grief"

I say with a small smile, hiding it slightly behind my hand.

Y/n looks a little taken aback at my sudden audible exasperation, not being through telepathy

"You worry too much. You're not loosing anything of yourself, I've already said this. You might just need a break"

"Sigh. I suppose..."

She pulls out her phone as if she's searching for something.

"Alright, thanks Saiki. See ya in class!" She says before teleporting.

Jeez, what a handful she is. I wonder where she went. Clairvoyance.

She's in some nice looking forest-y area. Near some river, laying down on the grass. Guess I'll leave her be the-

.
.
.

~~ Teleport ~~

"Saiki! Why'd you follow me!?"

"There was a cockroach..."

"Still doesn't explain why you're here!"

"I was checking where you went and being the last place I saw it was instinct"

"Okay I get that but why did you teleport?"

"I don't like repeating myself. There was a cockroach..."

She just stares at me blankly.

"Whatever. Do what you want."

She says lying her head back down on the grass.

Might as well stay here until the end of lunch. It's nicer than the school and if y/n doesn't mind, it should be fine. Plus I need to regenerate my teleportation for 3 minutes before using it again anyways.

I sit down by a tree taking my bento out my bag to start eating.

"Have you eaten today?"

"I don't really have an appetite at the moment"

"You can have some of my bento if you'd like"

"Don't worry about it."

I start eating. My eyes naturally looking around the forest eventually landing on y/n. It is a gorgeous place, the sun peaking slightly through the trees landing on y/n's skin as well as my own in patterns created by the trees. There's a lot of nice flowers around the area, lavender, pink and oranges through the forest, the rest dark greens and blueish green grass.

Y/n is laying peacefully in the grass. Right next to the running river. Her eyes are closed and she looks so peaceful. I notice her hand, she's wearing the germanium ring. For some reason I feel a little good about knowing she's wearing the ring I got her. It's good to do good sometimes. Her body looks still, relaxed. The sun landing on her skin, making her look like porcelain. Guess I get what some of the fuss is about. For the readers out there, y/n and I have filtered people's thoughts for you however y/n does get a little attention from some guys and such. Not like Teruhashi of course, guys don't tend to come up to y/n much. But as seen on the beach she still gets attention. Anyways back to my thoughts. Her long h/c hair is splayed out on the grass, her neat yet slightly messy bangs framing her face.

It's...nice.

"You're staring again Saiki..."

"Oh- sorry. Guess I made it a habit since I can't see through you with x-ray vision"

"Haha~ forgot you can't control that power"

She says, giggling a little. Normally I'd be annoyed at that comment but it's nice to see her smile again.

"Heh~...thank you Saiki. I mean it"

"...no problem y/n"

"You can call me by my first name now, think we're unintentionally close enough at this point. Don't feel pressured to let me call you Kusuo, whatever you're comfortable with!"

"Kusuo is fine"

"Heh! Okay Kusuo!"

She says, now a sweet smile on her face.

I can't help but smile as well.

............................................................

Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed! :)

(Also just wanted to say when I wrote "what a handful she is"
I accidentally pressed the middle suggested word and didn't realise until I finished writing the sentence, but it was really nice, it said

"What a beautiful handful she is"

Just thought I should point that out! ^^)