↠ T H I R T Y - S I X : a coronation (part two)

KEIRA was sure the courtyard of Minas Tirith had never been so crowded before

KEIRA was sure the courtyard of Minas Tirith had never been so crowded before. Thousands of people were trying to catch a glimpse of their soon to be king.

"Are you nervous?" Thrain asked from in front of her. Since he was the new King, his place was up front. After his coronation the two of them had, together with Lúthien, Gimli, Legolas, Daylor, Faelar and Carden, come to Minas Tirith to attend Aragorn's coronation.

"A bit," Keira confessed.

Before Thrain could reply, Gandalf lifted the silver crown from its pillow that Gimli had been carrying, and everyone around her went silent. All eyes were fixed on the crown that was being lowered on Aragorn's head.

"Now come the days of the King," Gandalf announced. "May they be blessed."

Aragorn arose, and by the way he his shoulder's tensed slightly, Keira could tell he was nervous. He turned around and the crowd behind her broke out in cheers.

"This dag does not belong to one man," Aragorn said. "Let us together rebuild this world, that we may share in the days of peace."

The cheers grew even louder and Keira looked up in wonder as petals started to fall. When she looked back at Aragorn, she saw him looking around, as if searching for someone. His grey eyes landed on the banner of Erebor and he frowned when he saw Thrain up front, with crown and all.

Blinking, he turned away and started to descent the stairs the steps of the hall.

"I am come," he sang. "In this I will abide, and my heirs, unto the end of the world."

Keira recognized it as the song of Elendil and she knew he had finally accepted his fate.

He slowly walked away from the hall, closely followed by four guards. Éowyn and Faramir bowed to him, as did Beregond who was besides them. Next came Éomer, who was now King of Rohan—a lot of coronations had happened—and last came Legolas.

The two of them placed their hands on each others shoulder.

"Hannon le," Keira could see Aragorn say.

Legolas only smiled, a knowing glance in his eyes, and he nodded at where the Erebor delegation was standing.

Aragorn frowned, but moved towards them anyway. Thrain stepped aside and Aragorn's eyes widened in surprise.

Keira stared at him, forgetting everything that happened around her as she let this moment sink in.

"Yes," Keira said. "My answer is yes."

Aragorn smiled—she had never seen him smile so broadly—and he pulled her closer, kissing her. Keira smiled against his lips before kissing him back. She wrapped her arms around his neck as he picked her up and twirled her around.

All around them, people were cheering even more. Keira had grown quite a repution while she had been there.

"I'm sorry I didn't write," Keira said, as the two were hugging now.

"You're here now," Aragorn muttered. "That's all that matters."

They took a step back and Aragorn extended his hand to her. "Are you with me?"

Keira smiled, accepting his hand. "Always."

The two of them continued their walk, hand in hand, as they headed for the hobbits, who bowed for them.

"My friends," Aragorn said, stopping them, "you bow to no one."

Aragorn kneeled down in front of them and Keira swiftly followed. She could hear everyone else kneel down behind them as well. Glancing up, she saw the hobbits looking around in embarrassment and her lips curled up.

Hobbits never failed to surprise, indeed.

On the day of her wedding to Aragorn, Keira was nostalgically reminded of the ceremony she had had with Thorin all those years ago

On the day of her wedding to Aragorn, Keira was nostalgically reminded of the ceremony she had had with Thorin all those years ago. She fiddled with the Durin ring that was situated on her left ring finger. Soon she would have to take it off, making way for another ring.

Slipping it off, she placed it in front of her on the desk. After today, she'd wear it on a necklace around her neck, but today she wouldn't. Today was a day that belonged to her and Aragorn.

"You stay right here," she told the ring. "I'm coming back for you."

A soft knock was heard from the door and both Lúthien and Éowyn appeared, carrying a heavy white dress together.

"Are you ready, Amad?" Lúthien said, beaming.

Keira smiled, pushing the thought of Thorin out of her head—but not out of her heart. "I am."

And all was well.

— THE END —

— THE END —