↠ S I X T E E N : the battle of Amon Hen

"Where is Boromir?" I spoke up, my eyes dashing over the trees, looking for the Gondorian man

"He said something about getting some wood for the fire," Pippin replied.

Aragorn and I exchanged a glance and ran into the woods.

"They can't be far," I said, jumping over fallen trees and avoiding low-hanging branches.

Aragorn, who was running next to me, nodded before stopping me and gesturing for me to be quiet. He seemed to be hearing something and ran towards it. I dashed after him and we stopped at the ruins of Amon Hen. Frodo was lying, gasping on the summit below the ancient ruins of the seeing seat.

Aragorn and I approached him carefully.

"Frodo?" My fellow ranger quietly said.

"It has taken Boromir," Frodo said numb.

"Where is the Ring?" Aragorn asked urgently, moving towards the dark haired hobbit.

"Stay away!" Frodo exclaimed, backing away from him and I could see that Aragorn was shocked by his movement.

"Frodo . . . I swore to protect you," the dark haired ranger said quietly.

"Can you protect me from yourself?" Frodo replied. Then, he uncurled his first . . . in his palm lied the Ring. It glinted, gold and beautiful in the afternoon sun. Strangely, I didn't feel the need to take it of him. After all, I had already everything I wanted. Right?

"Would you destroy it?" Frodo asked Aragorn, who's eyes were drawn to the Ring.

The ranger kneeled down in front of the hobbit.

"I would have gone with you to the end . . . into the very fires of Mordor."

I placed my hand on Aragorn's shoulder and looked at Frodo. "We all would have done it."

Frodo nodded. "I know. Look after the others, especially Sam . . . he will not understand."

At the sound of nearing footsteps, both Aragorn and I froze and I unsheathed my sword while turning around. 

"Go, Frodo!" I exclaimed as Aragorn stood up next to me, he, too, unsheathed his sword. "Run! Run!"

Frodo backed away into the trees as two hundred Uruk-Hai swarm onto Amon Hen.

Aragorn and I exchanged a glance and I nodded.

I ducked, avoiding the first blow, and sliced through the Uruk. Aragorn and I tried to hold the Uruk-Hai off as long as possible, but soon, we were surrounded. I could feel Aragorn's back against mine as we tried to protect each other.