↠ T H I R T Y : Faramir's sacrifice

A knock on her door made Keira look up from the washing bowl

A knock on her door made Keira look up from the washing bowl. She quickly grabbed the towel, dried her face off before opening the door.

Faramir and a man she didn't recognize looked up. Without asking what they wanted, she took a step aside and let them pass. She then closed the door before turning towards them.

"What can I do for you?"

"I am here to tell you that I will retake Osgiliath," Faramir said, trying to look confidently.

"That's the most stupid thing I've heard all day. No, actually, that's the most stupid thing I've heard in over sixty years," Keira replied, crossing her arms. "You will most certainly die."

"It's my father's wish," Faramir said, straightening his back.

"It's a death wish," Keira corrected him. "You'll be more of service if you stayed here and helped me defend the city."

"My Lady," the other man said, taking a step forwards, "although I agree with you, Faramir cannot just simply ignore the steward's wishes."

"A father should never be allowed to make that decision," Keira said, turning her back towards them and walking over to her bag. "I know I'd never let my children do that."

The redhead pulled out the mithril shirt that Gandalf had refused and handed it to Faramir, who looked at it in bewilderment.

"Don't tell me you've never heard of mithril," she said, a smile appearing on her lips.

"I have," Faramir muttered. "How did you get this? Why do you give it to me?"

"I am the queen of Erebor," Keira replied simply, "and I didn't give it to you, I leant it to you so you better give that thing back upon your return."

A faint smile played upon his lips as he bowed his head. "Thank you."

"It's the least I can do," Keira replied, "since I cannot change your mind."

Faramir smiled before gesturing at his companion. "This is Beregond, he's a good friend of mine, and I trust he will help you in the war to come . . . if I don't make it."

"It's nice to meet you," Keira said, giving him a nod.

Beregond nodded back. "It's nice to meet you, too, my lady."

KEIRA

Beregond and I watched Faramir leave with his soldiers. I could tell the people of Minas Tirith were upset to see him go. They probably all knew how this would end. With roses thrown under the hooves of the horses, Faramir led his soldiers towards the gate.

"Faramir!" I could hear Gandalf shout and I turned my head to see him pushing through the crowd towards the man in the lead. "Faramir! Your father's will has turned to madness! Do not throw away your life so rashly."

"Where does my allegiance lie if not here?" Faramir questioned the wizard. "This is the city of the men of Nûmenor. I will gladly give my life to defend her beauty, her memory, her wisdom."

"Your father loves you Faramir," Gandalf told him.

I sighed and turned my back to the soldiers, leaning against the balustrade. Beregond, however, watched the soldiers say their goodbyes before they disappeared through the gate.

"Did you want to join them?" I asked him, crossing my arms and looking up at him.

Beregond shook his head. "My task is to stay here and serve you in the war to come, that's what Faramir told me to do. What I want or not doesn't matter."

The two of us fell silent for a couple of moments.

"They are going to die, aren't they?" he continued carefully.

"I'm afraid there isn't much hope," I sighed. "We can only prepare for the battle to come."

Beregond straightened his back. "What will you have me do?"

"Gather all the women and children and lead them to somewhere safe, somewhere in the upper layers of the city perhaps," I ordered. "Gather the men and give them a weapon and some armor. Tell the soldiers to ready the catapult and our defenses. When Sauron's army arrives, we'll be ready for war."

As soon as Beregond left to carry out my orders, I took some time to take it all in. I took a deep breath before realizing that these people needed someone to guide them because the steward sure wouldn't.

I turned around and made my ways towards the lower walls of the city. Here would rage the battle the hardest. My hand followed the pattern in the wall as I traced it, thinking about how I would defend this city.

"Keira," Gandalf greeted me, walking towards me.

"Gandalf," I greeted back, turning to look at Osgiliath. He followed my gaze. "When will they be here?" I quietly asked him.

"In a couple of hours," Gandalf replied. "If it isn't sooner."

"I have ordered the women and children to be brought towards the upper levels of the city," I said. "And every man will be given an armor and a weapon."

Gandalf nodded approvingly. "You are doing great, Keira."

I accepted his complement with a nod. "I try."

Carden landed next to me. "Faramir survived, I think. He's coming."

I narrowed my eyes as I looked at Osgiliath. I could make out a horse galloping back towards the city and behind it was Faramir, who was being dragged along the ground with his foot caught in its stirrup. I turned around and leaned over the wall on the other side.

"Open the gate!" I ordered. "Faramir is back!"

Two soldiers rushed to open the gate while Gandalf and I descended the stairs. The horse rushed in and I grabbed its reins, while softly talking to it in Elvish to calm it. I glanced down at Faramir. He did not look good.

Two soldiers ran towards us, one of them was caring a stretcher.

"Bring him to the Houses of Healing," I ordered them, as they lifted him up and laid him on the stretcher. They nodded before hurrying off again.

I turned to five soldiers who were eying the scene with fear.

"Barricade the gate. Let no one else in."

They nodded and hurried off. As they closed the gate I could see Sauron's army nearing from Osgiliath.

By Durin, by the Valar, by everything else, give me the strength to defend this city. Just like I promised Aragorn.