The Descent

Carina POV:

I didn't sleep well that night and when I did, I was woken up by the brush of someone's hand over my face and I wondered if that was Elijah channeling his inner Edward Cullen by watching me sleep now that he had an invitation to my house. 

I got dressed and after forcing coffee and a granola bar down my throat, I drove to the Salvatore boarding house to check in on Rose

I got dressed and after forcing coffee and a granola bar down my throat, I drove to the Salvatore boarding house to check in on Rose. I could hear Elena and Stefan talking as I walked in, and I tried not to feel worried as they talked. 

"Vervain. I made it light but are you sure? Just because Katherine built up a tolerance..." Elena said and I realized this was so the Salvatores couldn't be compelled by Elijah. At the thought of him and what he told me, my cheeks heated up and I felt a little giddy. 

"Yes, bottoms up." Stefan said and then he must have swallowed it because I heard coughing and sputtering. I walked in to see him on the floor and then he got up. 

"Are you okay?" Elena asked and I looked at him in concern. 

"Yeah." He answered, looking like he didn't much enjoy the aftertaste of vervain. 

"How can Elijah compel another vampire?" Elena asked and I shrugged.

"Maybe because he's one of the first and it's like Interview With A Vampire, the powers get weaker as more vampires are sired?" I suggested. 

"He's an original. I don't really know what that means. I don't think anybody really knows what that means. Well, except maybe Isobel. Maybe we should ask her." Stefan answered and he kissed Elena before leaving. I continued looking for Damon and Rose and Elena followed me into the library and boy did she take a downward spiral fast.

"I was born in 1450, that makes me 560 years old." Rose mused and I winced at her acceptance of her impending death. I knew why, she had seen this happen before. 

"Well, if you were a bottle of wine..." Damon joked, weakly and I could see the concern he was trying to hide. 

"So I can die. I've lived long enough." Rose stated and I walked in. 

"You know, if you're gonna be morn, I'm just gonna kill you myself just to put me out of your misery." Damon threatened, kind of weakly, as he poured blood from a bag into a glass. 

"Come on, it's just a little werewolf bite." He said.

"Just a little, fatal to a vampire werewolf bite." Rose reminded him, giving me a weak smile as she noticed I was there. 

Well, according to a legend which is a notoriously unreliable source. Drink up." Damon instructed and he handed her the glass of blood. 

"Blood heals." He said and Rose drank the glass. 

"Yeah, it does feel like it's working." She said, trying to be optimistic. 

"Let's have a look, come on. Let me see." Damon ordered and Rose pulled her shirt away so he and I could see. It was much worse in person than on the screen. It was clearly very infected, and I tried not to get sick all over the floor.