The Birthday

Carina POV:

It had been about a month since the ritual and Elena seemed to have regressed from the progress we had made in the days before the ritual as she now blamed me for Stefan being with Klaus. She had moved back to the Gilbert house, and I had moved into the Salvatore boarding house full time. 

After Damon had recovered from his near death and ordered me 3 lbs. of chocolate and flowers, he refused to accept my apologies for what Stefan had done, saying that I had tried to warn Stefan and I was not Stefan's babysitter. Jenna was furious that I moved out and was in the process of moving in with me and Damon after Elena turned 18. 

Finn and Klaus frequently told me where they were going and complained about Stefan being annoying. The good thing was they rarely complained about each other and even admitted to enjoying each other's company, even though they said not to tell the other one. I didn't know if Esther Mikaelson was watching, but I enjoyed the fact my machinations were flipping her plans the bird. 

Finn was, I discovered, a perfect mix of his four brothers when he was completely relaxed and in control. I think I had brought that out in him and that the newfound understanding between him and his immediate younger brothers helped them fix things between themselves. 

He was still a complete gentleman and coldly polite like Elijah to those he despised but was more willing to drop to violence and was fiercely loyal to those he loved like Klaus was. He was much more mischievous like Kol and now seemed quite determined to make my cheeks match my hair. He was constantly double entendres that made me blush and then acted like he didn't know what I was talking about. 

Right now, it was Elena's birthday and Jenna had finished moving her things in this morning. Bonnie and Jeremy had called me, Bonnie accusing me of turning Jenna against Elena and Jeremy telling me that he kind of wished he could come with me. Damon and Jenna had offered to move him in as well, but Jeremy had refused, not wanting to take Stefan's room. 

Bonnie had also turned against me, accusing me of betraying Elena in favor of Klaus while Caroline had called, offering her support for me and wanting the smut from me about all three brothers. 

Elena marched her way in that morning while Damon and Rose were cooking together and Jenna and I were drinking coffee in the dining room

"Aunt Carina, we need to talk!" She said and Rose broke the plate she was holding in shock and anger. 

"Oh, now I'm Aunt Carina again." I grumbled at her as I sipped my coffee. Her cheeks colored at the reminder that she had argued with and insulted me after Stefan had left. 

"I'm sorry and I've had time to think about what you said. You did try to warn Stefan and offered to do it since you thought Klaus would give it to you." She finally admitted. 

"Okay, so why are you here now? Just because you apologized doesn't mean that Red Delicious forgives you!" Rose said, sharply and there was a part of me that preened under her defense of me, but the part of me that would have four original brothers trying to talk over me had me standing up.