Know Thy Enemy

Carina POV:

I glared at Isobel, who was still at the door. She ignored me, instead looking at Elena. Jenna was stunned, moving to grab my hand. 

"Hello, Elena. It's nice to see you again." Isobel greeted and despite the fact I had known about it, I glanced at Elena at the same time that Jenna did. 

"Again?" Jenna asked, hurt and Elena didn't know what to say. She glanced at me for help and I just avoided her eyes. She should have been honest with Jenna instead of lying to her. 

"So you're the woman who's dating my husband. I need to speak to Elena. May I come in?" Isobel asked and I glared at the obvious ploy. 

"Over our dead bodies." I snapped and I moved to try and shut the door. 

"N-n-no. Don't...don't invite her in." Elena agreed with me, for once. 

"I need to talk to you, Elena." Isobel insisted and Elena shook her head quickly. 

"No!" Elena shouted. I shoved my way to the front and looked at Isobel who raised her eyebrows at me. 

"Take your fake mother instinct and get off my porch. Leave the memory of her real mother, my sister Miranda, alone." I snapped, slamming the door in Isobel's face and Elena glanced at me in gratitude, but my concern was for Jenna who was crying. 

"You knew she was still alive? Ric? John? Did they know?" Jenna asked, looking like her whole world was falling down around her. 

"I can explain everything, Jenna." Elena insisted and I stared at her in shock. 

"How could you explain this? I told you that you and Ric needed to tell her whatever you two were hiding and you both ignored me!!" I shouted at Elena who flinched. 

"No." Jenna gasped and despite the fact she had known some of it, the hurt she felt from Ric, the man she loved, and Elena, the niece she had trusted, refusing to be honest with her was very real.

"No. Jenna, please." Elena pleaded as Jenna ran upstairs and we both followed her. 

"Jenna, please. Wait. Jenna, please wait." Elena called out as Jenna ran into my room and slammed the door. Elena stopped outside and I leaned against the door.

"Jenna, you have to talk to me. I...I need to explain what's going on. Jenna, please." Elena pleaded and I intervened. 

"Just go to your room, Elena. You've done enough by refusing to be honest with her." I ordered and for one of the few times I could remember, Elena listened to me and headed to her room. 

"Jenny, it's Rina. Open the door." I said, resting my forehead on it. I heard shuffling and the door to my bedroom door opened, Jenna's face was soaked in tears and I wrapped my arms around her, pushing her into the room and shutting the door. We sat on my bed as Jenna wept into my arms and I heard the leaves the trees shaking from someone climbing it. Figuring it was Stefan to come defend Elena, I got up, opened my window and leaned out to shout at the person. 

"Look, we don't want to hear about Elena's call is always the right one!!" I shouted and to my embarrassment, it was Elijah who looked rather contrite. 

"My apologies, Elskan, should I come back later?" He asked and then Jenna sniffled and a look of realization crossed his face. 

"What is wrong, Miss Jenna?" He asked, climbing in with a look of concern. 

"She just met the birth giver of Elena who just shattered everything she thought was true." I told him and he nodded, pulling out a handkerchief and handing to her. She took it and thanked him.