The Last Day

Carina POV:

I woke up with Elijah sitting in a chair in the corner of the room I was sleeping in, reading one of Damon's books. 

"Good morning, Elijah." I said and he smiled at me. 

"Good morning, Elskan." He greeted. He stood up and marked his place in the book, carefully before walking over to sit on the edge of the bed. 

"Are you nervous, Elskan?" He asked and I shook my head. Elena would survive the sacrifice, if not because of the potion, then because of John. 

"I have faith in your elixir and in Bonnie. Elena will survive this." I said, confidently. Elijah looked like he'd prefer to have my confidence level, but kissed my hand and left the room for me to change. I changed into an outfit and went downstairs. 

Elijah was outside with Damon and Rose when Stefan joined them

Elijah was outside with Damon and Rose when Stefan joined them. They had set out a nice breakfast and Damon was drinking some scotch.

"Breakfast of champions, huh?" Stefan asked, bitterly and we all looked at him. 

"I'm surrounded by idiots with Elena tunnel vision. I need all the help I can get." Damon snarked. 

"You know, you're not helping." Stefan snapped at him. 

"You told me you wanted me and Rose to stand down so we're going with someone who actually listens to us." Damon retorted and Elijah smirked at that. 

"Elijah is an original vampire, Damon. One we tried to kill. You're going to believe this guy?" Stefan asked and Damon nodded. 

"Yes, I am. Elijah has proven his honesty. If he wasn't honest, he would have killed us." He insisted. 

"Elena's going to die." Stefan reminded his brother and Rose rolled her eyes. 

"You once complained that you thought Damon was in love with her, now that he's moved on and wants to protect his loved ones, you get angry." She snapped at Stefan. 

"Elena's not my concern." Damon continued. 

"Why? She's going to end up dead." Stefan said. 

"I trust Elijah." Damon insisted. 

"Well, then, that makes you the biggest idiot of them all." Stefan snapped. He then took a deep breath and glared at Damon. 

"She chose to trust you, too." He reminded Damon. 

"Then maybe you shouldn't be so sure about her instincts." Damon commented, slightly hurt. Damon looked at Stefan, took a drink from the glass, and then threw the rest away. Damon then left with Rose and Elijah sped me up to the library where Elena was. 

"You'd think he'd understand why I'm willing to do this." Elena sighed and I glanced at Elijah, who was picking up the potion a witch had brought over. Elena touched and then took it and lifted it upright.