Day 1

Neteyam

I started to be exhausted due to the flying all day. Tuk cuddled with mom and fell asleep a while ago.
As I was daydreaming about sleep, a few dark spots on the ocean appeared on the horizon.
"Dad, is that..?" He turned his head to me and smiled softly. "Yes. It won't take long now anymore." His words made me feel better and Lo'ak too looked like he was somewhat motivated again.
I was excited to see what would happen once we'd live with them. But still, I missed my home and my clan; and maybe I'd miss them forever.

A while later, the main island and a huge beach appeared. Na'vi were waiting
and watching us from there.
We landed slowly on the white sand and I couldn't help but smile. Everything seemed to be so beautiful and peaceful. Only the na'vi didn't exactly look like we did.
I slid down from my ikran and undid tsaheylu, our bond. One particularly tattooed na'vi began talking and introduced himself as Tonowari. His wife next to him was apparently called Ronal.
She and mom hissed at each other as soon as my dad told them, why we were here - to lie low and to live here.
It took some time, but Tonowari decided that we could stay. But only under two conditions: that we'd learn their way of doing things and that we'd help them.
Two na'vi, who appeared to be my age, came out of the water. The girl flipped her hair back and Lo'ak looked like he instantly fell in love. I checked out the boy - to me, he appeared like someone who causes a lot of trouble. He looked at us in dislike.
Tonowari explained, that his daughter Tsireya and his son Ao'nung - the two who came out of the water - should teach and show everything to us.
Tsireya didn't seem to mind that at all while Ao'nung and another boy laughed at our appearance.

As soon as everything important has been said, the chief's children showed us our hut where we put down our stuff.
Afterwards we walked down to the beach and ran into the crystal clear water.
Ao'nung and Tsireya were diving incredibly fast. "Wait for us!", Tuk demanded when they came back to the surface. "We can't hold our breath long enough." The reef boy laughed quietly; Tsireya just smiled. "How about this: We're going to practice the breathing with you first. Roxto's going to help you, Tuk, and Kiri. I'm going to teach Lo'ak and Ao'nung here", she turned to her brother, "will show it to Neteyam. Understood?" She glanced at him and he nodded.

Ao'nung and I swam to a shallow rock not far away from us and sat on it with the sun shining on us.
"The most important part is that you have to be calm. Slow your heart rate and relax. Deep breaths."
I tried to follow his instructions and leaned back a bit. I put my arms behind me to help me stay steady and relax.
Finally I closed my eyes and focused on his voice. He told me a lot of things about the reef and the ocean.
His voice was surprisingly calming and soon enough I felt completely relaxed and calm. When I opened my eyes again, I smiled. The water and the rocks were shining with all sorts of colors due to the slow sunset behind the horizon.
I enjoyed the last rays of sun and the warmth on my skin while observing Ao'nung interested.
His skin was so very different than mine and even his arms were of a different shape. He seemed to have webs on the side of them. His whole appearance was so unusual to me - It'd take me a while until I'd consider the metkayinas as 'normal' as us.
Lost in my thoughts i didn't realize Ao'nung checking me out himself.

After a while, I let out a heavy sigh and stoof up. "Ready to dive again?" I looked up. "Huh?" He laughed. "Swimming. Water. You're familiar with that?" Smiling I rolled my eyes. He held me back for a moment. "Are you relaxed?" I just nodded and jumped somewhat elegant head first into the water.
Ao'nung swam next to me and I followed him.
We were diving for a surprisingly long time until I had to catch my breath again. "You're definitely better than earlier", he said. "Maybe one day you can keep up with me." He winked and disappeared again.
I took my time and watched the breathtaking last moments of the sunset and really took in how everything appeared now. I totally forgot about the boy's indirect request until he broke though the surface next to me.
"Are you alright?" For fucks sake. He scared the crap out of me. "Yes. It's just so nice to watch the sunset." He smiled. "You're right. I guess I've just gotten used to this view already. It's been a long since I've really watched the sky like this."
We were quiet for quite some time until we started chatting.
I learned a lot about his family and the life here on the reef. I told him about some memories i had from my youth and childhood, which didn't fail to make him laugh.
The sun and the light were long gone, but we were still talking. Suddenly, someone called for us. Tsireya waved and swam the last bit to us. "I've been looking everywhere for you two. Did something happen?" Ao'nung sighed. "No, we're fine. We were just talking until you interrupted us. Did you want anything in particular?" "Mom told me to come get you. She's made dinner. And Neteyam, your mom is looking for you. You should go to her." I nodded. "Probably. Goodnight you two." They told me goodbye, swam to the beach and disappeared in the darkness. I followed them slowly and went to the hut, where my family was waiting for me. "Neteyam! Where have you been?" Mom didn't seem to be upset, but she seemed worried. "Ao'nung's told me a lot about everything and anything. We completely lost track of time, I'm sorry."
She eyed me for a moment and nodded then. "Alright. Dinner's almost ready." I turned to my brother. "How'd it go with Tsireya?", I asked and grinned knowingly. He punched my arm as an answer.