Day 69 Part 2

Neteyam

My lungs were burning as they finally filled with air again. It felt as if I hadn't taken a breath in days.
Then I remembered what had happened.
But still... I was alive right now.

Pieces of memories came flooding back. Something pushing in my brain and staying there. That something - and I was sure of that - was the reaaon for me not being dead. The only possible explanation was Eywa.

The pain in my chest soon began to fade.
What do you think, what will Neteyam say to all of this?", someone asked. The voice was way too quiet for me to make out who it was.
"He will understand. Neteyam has a big -" A sudden wave of headache made it impossible for me to understand the rest.
"through this. And you're not alone with it after all." I wondered what I would understand and where we had to go through. Who even was we?

"How do you feel about giving the child away?"
Child?
How long was I gone?
"Not good. It's not even been vorn yet, but it feels so wrong thinking about it being happy with someone else."

I realized it was Ao'nung talking.

Someone - I assumed it was him - was right next to me. A second na'vi was on my left and one of them put two fingers on my neck, searching for a pulse probably.
Then it was silent.
Someone was crying.

I've never been more tired as in that very moment. But all I wanted right now was seeing Ao'nung and holding him in my arms again.
Carefully I tried moving a finger. It wouldn't have been more difficult if a grown tulkun was lying on top of it. It took a while until that feeling faded. I tried again. My finger moved.
With every movement it became more and more easy.
My eyelids were so damn heavy; I doubted that I was ever going to be able to open them again. Ao'nung softly stroked my cheek. "Please wake up, my love."
My heart jumped in joy as he said that. I wanted to tell him that I was awake. But all I could manage to do was parting my lips.

He took a deep breath.
"Neteyam? Can you hear me?" I moved my finger and somehow touched him. "Oh Great Mother, Teyam!"
Drops fell onto my upper body. Judging by the sobbing it was tears dripping down on me.
Neytiris big hands cupped my face shaking. "Neteyamur?"
She hadn't called me that in forever. I melted.
A slight smile appeared on my lips for a second.
Mom sobbed and pressed a kiss on the back of my hand. Very slowly I squeezed her hand.
"Teyam? Do you think you can open your eyes for me?" I'd do anything for him, no question. But it was so exhausting and I was so tired.
I breathed out.
"Stay awake, my love. Please." His voice was so full of pain and suffering.
One tear came out of my closed eye and rolled down my face. He wiped it away softly. "It's okay. You should rest."
It was heartbreaking having to listen to him.
Despite me trying my hardest, I lost my consciousness again. Or I fell asleep, it was hard to tell.

When I woke up, it was dark. At least as far as I saw  through my closed eyelids.
Pain numbed my body ad I tried to move.
For now, it was only possible to open my mouth. Everything hurt as I attempted to speak. I swallowed. "Mmm?" That was all I could get out. Desperate to talk I tried again. "Mom?", I asked in pain.
Someone touched me.
"Neteyam. How are you, my boy?" Dad. "Mmhm", I hummed in a positive way. "I doubt it. You should really rest." "Mhmh", I disagreed. I had been resting long enough. Now it was time to get up.
"Can you look at me, son?" Great question. Very cautiously I opened my eyes. It was easier that I had assumed.
Slowly I could make out the facial features of the one above me. He smiled, on the verge of crying, and called out for mom. It took her like what, five seconds?
My brain was a bit overwhelmed with all this optical input, but I was okay.
"My son." She let her fingers trail over my cheek. "Should I go get Ao'nung?" "Mh. Tomorrow", I mumbled. I didn't want him to see me like this. All weak and helpless. "Water?", I asked quietly. My throat was burning like hell. Dad helped me drink something and I immediately felt better.

The way of water has no beginning and no end.

I wasn't sure where that voice came from or whose it was. But it echoed in my brain again and again.
It was exhausting and kind of painful, but I forced myself to sit up. Dad helped me and now really cried, but never stopped smiling. "Oh boy", he whispered and carefully hugged me. Mom put her arms around us roo and I was so damn happy to hold them both again. And I was sure that they weren't less happy.

Mom handed me a bowl with hot soup. "Eat. I'm going to tell Tonowari and Ronal, they have to know. But if you want to I can tell them to not spoil it to their kids, okay?" I took the bowl, still slightly shaking. "I just want to surprise Ao'n tomorrow. That's all. Tsireya can know."
She ran her fingers through my braids. "We're so glad to have you back, Neteyamur."
With a smile I looked down to my food and decided to finally eat something. I was starving. She looked at me one last time before leaving the hut.
Dad let me finish the soup in peace but never took his eyes off of me. I could literally feel his worries about me. But right now, I kind of felt great. "Where's Lo'ak?" "Probably out and about with Tsireya. They've been going on a lot of trips with his ikran those last few days. But if you want to, I can tell him to come."
I nodded.
He pressed the button on the necklace. "Lo'ak, can you hear me?" He waited. "Lo'ak, can you hear me? It's important." My brother seemed to answer because his next words were: "Come back home as fast as possible. You can bring Tsireya along if she wants to." He then turned to me again. "Two minutes. Maximum."

Dad was right. Even before the two minutes were over, they stormed in, breathless. "Neteyam!", Lo'ak screamed and pulled ne into a damn tight hug. "Uff", I squeaked as all the air was pressed out of my lungs on impact. "Lo'ak! You're going to kill him again!", dad scolded and made us laugh. It was morbid, yes, but also funny.
"Oh Neteyam! I'm so glad that you're well again! Ao'nung will be overwhelmed when he sees you! Was he here yet? You have to tell him!" She only stopped talking when Lo'ak put one hand on her shoulder. I laughed. "Keep calm. I'm going to go to him first thing tomorrow. And please, don't tell him." She smiled widely.

"You're so sweet. He's going to be so happy. You two are simply made for each other." The compliment made me blush a little.
"Thank you. Did I miss anything important?" She glanced at Lo'ak and hesitated to answer. "Yes. But I think we should talk about that tomorrow. Together." I just kept looking at her. What was so important and huge that they couldn't tell me right now?