Day 69

Ao'nung

I was just on my way to the Sully's hut as someone crossed my path. "Beyral?", I asked surprised as I realized that it was her. "Ao'nung." She didn't seem to be too excited. "Uhm, what's up?" I was somehow scared of her answer.
She just smiled shyly and gently stroked her somewhat bloated tummy. It took a few seconds until it clicked in my brakn. "Oh. Congratulations to you." I was honestly happy for her. She was just half a year older than me and I didn't think that there was anybody who loved children more. "Who's the dad? If I may ask."
Fo the context: She was my ex girlfriend. Just before the arrival of the Sullys we broke up. The reasons for that weren't quite pleasant and we haven't talked ever since. But I had just assumed that she didn't want to see me anymore.
"You tell me."
I froze. Was it even possible? We've had sex like what, twice? Well, theoretically, it was possible. "Are you sure?" She nodded. "There's only ever been you."
But still, I wasn't sure whether to trust her. Why was she only now coming to me? She must've known for days, maybe even weeks. "To answer your question: I haven't had the courage to tell you. I was afraid of me having an extremely bad timing and it ending up with you being mad at me or something. And, of course, there's been this whole drama with Neteyam."
She sounded sad and jealous. Neteyam. How in the name of the Great Mother was I supposed to tell him? He would probably try to be happy about it and try to make the most out of it.

I nodded slowly, starting to understand what was happening, and sat down, my feel dangling in the water. She sat down next to me but kept her distance. "Did you think about the possibilities yet? You've always loved kids." She smiled.
"But not under those circumstances. I wanted to have a child with someone who loves me unconditionally and someone I can start a family with. And not with a gay boy in a relationship." I scratched my neck. Of course she was right and it's never been a secret, but noone has ever called me gay directly - not even I myself.
"Honestly, I would love to be able to change the circumstances for you, Beyral. But I can't. And Neteyam needs me."
She opened her mouth to say something, but I atopped her. "I realize that I cannot leave you alone with this. And as long as you want me to, I will support you as much as I can. I'm positive that Neteyam will share my opinion."
Slowly, she closed her mouth and looked away. "I don't know what to do. Of course I will carry out the baby and give birth to it and of course I hope that it's going to be healthy. But Great Mother, I cannot do that. Not on my own and not with you. And especially not with Neteyam."
I stared down at my hands in silence. I was ashamed even though I wasn't sure why. "The what do you want to do?", I asked. Her answer was obvious. "With your consent I would give the child to a family capable of caring for it and loving it."
She was right, but still. It hurt like hell. In the end, it was still my child.
"I will think about it, okay?" She nodded slowly. "You know where you find me."

Without another word she got up and left me alone with my thoughts.
I was still not sure if I could really believe her and that whole story. But what would she expect to change because of a child she didn't even want to have?
Frustrated I ran my fingers through my hair.
I decided to believe her so I wouldn't go absolutely nuts now.
Neteyam really had to wake up soon. I needed his rational opinion and some soothing words that were always like balm to my soul. And of course I needed him as my friend. As my boyfriend. But we'd talk about this as soon as he woke up.

With a distressed sigh I got up and rubbed the front of my thighs. I didn't exactly know why, but one day I just started doing that whenever I was nervous. And right now I was extremely nervous, considering this whole situation with Beyral, the child and Neteyam.
Lost in thoughts I continued my way to the Sullys. "I see you", Neytiri respectfully said to me. We were alone except for Neteyam and Kiri. "I see you, Neytiri. When did she stop having her... episode?" "A few hours ago. But please, sit down and tell me more about your problem. You seem very startled. What's the matter?"
Once again I let out a sigh. We sat across one another and she didn't take her eyes off of me. Finally I build up the courage to tell her.

"You bonded with this girl?" "No. I mean, yes, but not like that." She meant tsaheylu. But we've never connected. At that time we weren't ready for this big step.
"What do you think, what will Neteyam say to all of this?", I asked, somewhat horrified. "He will understand. Neteyam has a big heart and he really loves you. You two will get through this. And you're not alone with it after all." She smiled warmly and I blushed.
"How do you feel about giving the child away?" It was a great question. Alas, it was my child and I wasn't truly comfortable with even imagining it growing up in another family. "Not good. It's not even been vorn yet, but it feels so wrong thinking about it being happy with someone else."

In that very moment I noticed that Neteyam wasn't lying there without movement. Of course he hadn't moved, but as I watched him closely I saw his chest rising and falling slowly.
He was breathing! He was actually breathing!
I knelt down next to him and didn't give a shit about my knees hurting. Neteyam was the only thing that mattered right now.
Neytiri was kneeling on his other side and was searching for his pulse.
Tears filled up her eyes.
Did I just imagine all of it or was she just happy that her son was alive?

Her smile told me.
My Neteyam had came back to us.

*

[my a levels are beginning in two weeks. fml]